Decrease of Hearing After Facelift? It's Been Almost 2 Months and my Ears Feel Blocked.

It's bee almost 2 months and my ears still feel like they are blocked up with something. My hears seems to be muffled. I have flush my ears multiple times with ear flushes without result. Doctor says this is normal.

Decreased Hearing 2 Months after Facelift

+2

Decreased hearing 2 months after your facelift is probably secondary to wax, residual cotton placed in the ears during the operation, or blood which got into the ear canal during the surgery. An ENT specialist can examine you, remove anything in the ear, and test your hearing if necessary.

Someone needs to look in your external ear canals.

+2

As others have pointed out, it is possible to have retained material in the ear canals.  Not just ear wax or blood, I have seen patients where a surgeon left cotton in the ear canal.  The cotton is used to prevent fluid from collecting in the canal.  Ask your surgeon to look in the canal.  Of course it is also possible that you are just an aging rock and roller and this is actual natural hearing loss.

Decrease of Hearing After Facelift

+1

I have seen this a few times.  Typically it is related to ear wax which gets further plugged with dry blood.  Your surgeon can clean this for you or you can see an ENT specialist.

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacelift.com/html/facelift_surgery.php

Plugged hearing after facelift

+1

You should get your ears checked out by an ear, nose, throat (otolaryngologist) to see what is going on. You may have dried blood or something else plugging up the ear canal. A thorough examination would help figure out the cause.

Web reference: http://www.drlamperti.com/facial-plastic-surgery/facelift-midface-lift

Facelift - Decrease of Hearing After Facelift? It's Been Almost 2 Months and my Ears Feel Blocked.

+1

I think that it's unlikely that any hearing loss is due to the surgical aspects of the procedure itself.  While anything is possible, I am not aware of this as a common consequence of this surgery, or even as a rare one.

I would advise a consultation with an ENT to examine your ear canals, eardrums and an overall hearing assessment.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Web reference: http://www.bodysculpture.com

Hearing loss after a facelift

+1

This is probably blood or gauze- dental role that has filled your ear canal from the surgery.  You should see your surgeon and if need be an ENT surgeon to assess your ear canal.  It would be extremely unlikely this is anything else if it came on immediately after Facelift surgery.  After your ears are cleaned you could undergo a hearing test.   Typically I place a small piece of dental role in the ear canal when performing facelifting or Parotidectomy surgery to prevent blood filling the canal.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Decreased hearing after facelift

+1

I have never seen permanent hearing loss after a facelift. As a rule of thumb, we use special ear plugs to protect the ear canal during surgery and they are removed immediately after surgery. We also irrigate the ear afterwards, using extreme caution. Although very rare it is possible to get an ear infection s/p a facelift in which case antibiotic ear drops would be used. You could follow up with your surgeon to check for an infection or residual swelling.

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Muffled Hearing after a Face Lift

+1

The most likely explanation for decreased hearing following a face lift procedure is blood in the ear canal.  Other possible causes are residual ear wax, a retained dental roll or piece of cotton used to block the ear canal, or possible swelling around the ear canal (which is unlikely 2 months following the procedure).  A straightforward examination with an otoscope should reveal the cause of the obstruction. 

Hearing problems after facelifts

+1

the initial swelling of the ear canal can occur and cause problems for several weeks

someone should look inside however to make sure there is no dried blood. wax or packing that may have been place during the surgery

Why Ears May Feel Blocked After Facelift

+1

I would check and see if your ear canal has old blood or wax buildup that may be affecting your hearing.  You can return for a visit with your surgeon, or an ENT specialist to determine this.  Although steps can be taken to try to prevent this, it can be a fairly common occurrence.

Web reference: http://www.dr-youngforever.com/face.php

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon