Options To Correct a Crooked Mouth? (photo)

Hi I noticed that my mouth seems crooked a few months ago - it's really obvious in pictures but noone has ever pointed it to me. When i smile it looks more even for some reason. What can be the reasons and what is a possible treatment for that? Thanks!

Facial asymmetry, could be weakness

+1

You have a subtle problem that appears fairly "real."  That is to say that the right side of your mouth at rest is is pulled more than the left, which is shifting your philtrum (central part of your upper lip).  The problem fortunately seems to disappear with aggressive smiling.  You are most likely habitually activating the right corner of your mouth at rest, but you may not be aware of it.  Sometimes, this sort of appearance may be due to facial weakness on one side as one might get when recovering from Bell's palsy (or temporary paralysis of the facial nerve).  However, it sounds like this has been a lifelong problem.  To correct the habit of shifting your mouth to the right, you may want to consider biofeedback therapy with a trained therapist who specializes in facial weakness or paralysis.  Alternatively, very careful administration of Botox or Dysport on the overactive right side of your face may balance your closed lip posture in repose.  If this problem is truly bothersome, then I would suggest seeing a board-certified plastic surgeon with expertise in facial paralysis for a more accurate recommendation.

Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Crooked smile.

+1

Most of us have more muscle tone on one side vs. the other. As you said, no one notices these unless they are pointed out. Leave it alone--you have a pretty smile and that is what counts.

Crooked Smile

+1

There are options to help improve and lift the corner of the mouth to help achieve symmetry.  However, you need to consult with a board certified specialist who can best evaluate and assist you with this.

Kimberly Lee, MD