Nipple Appearance After Gynecomastia Surgery

I am an extreme weight loss patient. 2 weeks ago, I underwent a gynocomastia excision procedure along with extended tummy tuck. 200 grams of breast tissue was removed.. and a slight crescent mastopexy was performed, to correct my slightly low nipple position. My chest was a lot bigger before, and it sagged. It no longer does that.. definately it lays a lot flatter. However, my nipple however look wrinkles along the incision, and the contour is cratered on one side. Is it too early to tell or is this normal?

Hi 3844anon,

Thank you for the post and photo. At 2 weeks it is too early to tell. Final results are typically measured in months not weeks. I recommend to be patient at this point in time.

Wrinkling will go away

This should resolve as time passes. Let a few months go by before assessing your results. The tissues in the area need to relax and this wrinkling will probably go away.

I think your surgeon did a really good job.  Give it more time to heal.  The wrinkling will likely resolve over time.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

Wound Healing Following Gynecomastia Surgery

It appears that you have undergone a peri-areolar mastopexy in combination with your gynecomastia surgery. When this type of procedure is performed, gathering of the skin occurs which results in the wrinkling that you describe. This wrinkling tends to resolve with the passage of time.

After two weeks this would be an anticipated finding. It’s important to be patient because wound healing can take up to a year following surgery. If a scar revision is necessary it should not be performed for at least a year after the original procedure. If you’re concerned about this issue, then consultation with your surgeon would be appropriate. 

Appearance of nipples after gynecomastia surgery

In massive weight loss patients, the limiting factor for a good result is the quality of your skin. In many massive weight loss patients, their skin has been damaged as well. If your skin does not have good elasticity liposuction alone is not a good option for you. Your plastic surgeon should evaluate the quality of your skin and described the type of partial mastectomies that may be a good option for you. Keep in mind that the scarring after these procedures can be significant. Also discuss with your plastic surgeon the possibility of keeping the nipple attached to the underlying tissue or if it indeed has to be removed and used as a graft. If the nipple is to be removed and grafted, you will lose most sensation from the nipple.

Pat Pazmino, MD

It takes time to heal after gynecomastia surgery

Your photo shows a very nice result for 2 weeks after surgery.  I would expect wrinkies along your areolar scar this early postop.  This will flatten with time.  If not, a revision is easy.  Try to remember, each breast had its own operation and therefore heals slightly differently from the other side, so for a few months you cannot consider the result final.

Bruce Genter, MD
Abington Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia and sagging nipples, loose skin, and craters

Yes, it is definitely too early. Although the extra skin may persist, it is best to wait and allow for skin heaing and contraction. Wait at least 4-6 months before contemplating any revision procedures.

Good now - better later

The results look good. Two weeks is extremely early in the recovery process. Wrinkling around a periareolar lift can occur but resolves with time. The contour will improve over time also.

Gynecomastectomy Effect on nipple

Two weeks is way too early to tell what your final result will be. From your photo it appears to me that you are going to have a nice result. Your should share your concerns with your plastic surgeon who can possibly make you aware of products and manuevers that you can do to improve your result.

John Whitt, MD (retired)