When Will Nipple Sensation Return After Lipo for Male Breast Reduction?

I had liposuction for male breast reduction 3 months ago. I had liposuction for the treatment of gynecomastia, i had fat removed but no gland, 3 months later I still have a little bit of tenderness in the lower pectorial area, altought the pain feels superficial, that does not bother me as much as the loss of feeling in my nipple area (numbness).

My sex life has been abit duller since, because when my girlfriend pinches my nipple(s) during foreplay it usually arouses me ;)... i am wondering if the sensation will ever return, or has the nerve been damaged?? is there any ointments or supplements i should have been taking during the post-op recovery time??? if anyone has any advice i would love to hear from you.......from Bra Boy

Numbness in Nipple May Take 6-12 Months to Resolve Following Gynecomastia Surgery

+1

It’s not unusual to have numbness following liposuction of the chest. During this procedure the nerve fibers are often traumatized and stretched by the liposuction canula.

In the vast majority of patients this is a temporary phenomena that resolves within six to twelve months of surgery. In many cases patients develop unusual tingling sensations called dyesthesias when nerves start to recover. It’s important to be patient, since most cases of numbness recover with time.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Diminished nipple sensation after gynecomastia liposuction

+1
Whenever the tissues are traumatized, there can be a change in sensitivity, either less or hypertensitivity. This should diminish over time, as will the tenderness. You have a neuropraxia. Keep the scar moistened and apply sun screen when you are exposed to the sun. There are no ointments or supplements necessary. If you have further concerns, please don't hesitate to speak with your plastic surgeon.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Should improve

+1

Liposuction only usually doesn't damage the tissue as much as cutting.  I would suspect it to return to near normal in time.  However, if smart lipo was performed the heat may cause a little more injury.  I would give it time and it is still a risk that sensation change may occur.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Nipple sensation returns in 6 to 12 months.

+1

Hi.

This is really common after male breast reduction. Sensation almost always returns, but it can take a long time.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Return of nipple sensation after liposuction

+1

It is possible to experience a decrease or absence of nipple sensation after liposuction for the correction of time to master. This may be caused by some temporary or permanent damage to the nerves that exit from between the ribs and innervate your nipple. If these nerves have been stretched, the sensation will return in time. However, if these nerves have been cut completely, your sensation may never return. Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon in review the technique that they used and what areas of your breast they work in.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Nerve regeneration after male breast reduction is a slow process

+1

Dear bra boy,

Nipple numbness is rare but possible after liposuction for gynecomastia. Give the nipple at least 6-12 months to recover. Nerve regenerate slowly. Keep following up with your surgeon to guide your recovery.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Nipple Sensation After Gynecomastia Surgery

+1

Typically gynecomastia surgery involves liposuction of the entire chest followed by excision of breast tissue under the nipple areola complex. The removal of the breast tissue is necessary because liposuction will not remove the breast tissue.

Nipple sensation is usually lost because of the removal of the breast tissue which contains the nerves. Liposuction alone will cause a neuropraxia or cause the nerves to "go to sleep" for a while. Sensation almost always returns to a near preoperative state but this may take 6-8 months. Time will heal.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia

+1

With liposuction alone your sensation will most probably come back . It may take one year.

It is not unusal to have numbness after liposuction.

Nipple numbness and loss of sensation with gynecomastia repair using liposuction

+1

With liposuction alone as the primary modality for management of your liposuction, it is my impression and experience that the vast majority of your sensation should return within 6-9 months. I am slightly concerned and surprised that you have not had return of some sensation at this point. Return of sensation is typically preceded by dysethesias/paresthesias ("pins and needles" sensations). To the best of my knowledge there is very little that you can do to expedite this process although some practitioners advocate use of Vitamin B6 but this is largely anecdotal.