Dark Nipple After Gynecomastia and Areola Reduction Surgery?

I had gynecomastia and an areola reduction surgery 5 days ago. I feel fine with little pain and discomfort, but one of my nipples (right side) is much, much darker than the other. Both of them are seemingly numb, but the ride nipple is almost purple.

What is the cause of this? Loss of blood circulation or due to the sutures? Is this a "dead nipple" and will I lose my nipple or need reconstruction? I just want to know if this is normal or something that I should be concerned about. Very disturbing and worried.

Updated Feb. 24, 2010:

As requested, here is a picture of the nipple I mentioned in my previous question. I did see my PS today and he said that it "should be just fine", and that it looked like it was "vascular (or venous) congestion" in the nipple. Is there anything I can do to uncongest this or get color to return to normal as soon as possible (like my left nipple). Any help, advice, or expertise is much appreciated. On the phone the other day he did say that it looked like I had good blood flow after the surgery/sutures

Dusky areolae after gynecomastia surgery

+1
The duskiness of the areola can be associated with bruising or with loss of vascularity after the surgery. There is always a concern about necrosis of the nipple based on restricted blood supply so it is important for you to followup with your plastic surgeon on a regular basis. In most cases, as the swelling reduces, the coloration changes.

Purple areolae and nipples after gynecomastia (male breast) reduction

+1

It is not uncommon for the areola to look slightly darker after surgery. Capillary refill should be assesed to insure adequate vascularity.

See your surgeon for changes in nipple color after gynecomastia surgery

+1

Your surgeon will deftly want to hear about any change in your nipple color after surgery. This may be caused due to excess swelling or bruising or maybe the results of your nipple not getting enough of the blood supply. Either way your surgeon will be very concerned and will want to assess you.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Poor blood supply to nipples after gynecomastia surgery.

+1

Hi.

I recommend applying Silvadene cream to nipples three times a day. This is an antibiotic cream used on burns that is very effective. You have not enough blood flow to your nipples after male breast reduction, but they should heal as long as infection is prevented. Skin with bad blood supply is very prone to infection.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Funny nipple after gynecomastia and areola reduction

+1

It looks like there is some vascular congestion, and also blisters appear to be present.  If your doctor diagnoses the cause to be venous, then some topical nitroglycerine may help. I think it will likely be okay, however.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Gynecomastia

+1

The color of the nipple areola may get darker during the healing process. from the picture you posted the nipple areola seems normal with good circulation. If you are concerned then you should call your doctor, nothing better than a physical exam to put your mind at ease.

Dark nipple after gynecomastia Surgery

+1

Without a photograph it is impossible to tell you exactly what is going on. The fact there is a large color discrepancy between the color of your nipples is indeed worrisome. "Almost purple" is not a color we surgeons like to see when something is supposed to be pink and warm. It indeed MAY be a case of poor blood supply. Rather than worry about it, you MUST be seen by your surgeon immediately. Personally, I would stop wearing any compression vests you may be wearing and go see your surgeon