Growing Dorsal Hump Normal?

I am 23 years old and my dorsal hump is still growing. Is this usual? I want to have surgery but I have noticed it has been grown rapidly over the past few months. When should the nose stop growing?

Nose usually stops growing by age 16

+1

The nose usually stops growing by age 16. The growing dorsal hump that is present is a callous formation, usually from nasal fracture or repetitive trauma over the junction between the bone and the cartilage of the nasal bridge. This can be rather easily filed down through traditional rhinoplasty techniques. If there is a large bump present, a nasal bone osteotomy will have to be performed to prevent a flattop nose.

Growing Nasal Bump

+1

It is not normal to have "rapid" growth of the  nose at age 23. Nasal growth usually slows down or stops after puberty (about age 18 or 19 for a young man). See a physician experienced in nasal surgery to make sure there is not a pathological condition which should be treated. 

Eyeball nose job

+1

Eyeball,

It is not usual for the nose to continue growing, especially rapidly over a few months, past the age of 17 or 18 for boys/men. This is not a number set in stone and is only a general rule, but by age 23 the nasal growth should certainly be complete. See your doctor for a general examination. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Rhinoplasty; Growing Dorsal Hump

+1

Hi Eye,

Most important that you see a nasal specialist to evaluate why your dorsal hump is still growing at 23 years old. You must make sure that you do not have some other pathology causing the increased size since most noses have stopped growing by 23.

Once it is certain that you have no other cause for the hump, it is fine to have your rhinoplasty.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Rapid change over months? Yes, this is unusual

+1

An adult should not be having rapid change to the nose occurring over a span of just months. If that's the case, it's probably worthwhile to have the nose examined to rule out other causes of nasal shape change (benign and malignant soft-tissue and bony tumors, fibrous dysplasia, etc.).

Good luck and let us know what your doctors find,

--DCP

David C. Pearson, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Timing for Rhinoplasty

+1

The question is about when does the nose stop growing. We usually wait until an individual is at least 13 - 15 years old. That is the age that the nose has grown about 90% of the size that it will grow. So although as we get older our nose may still continue to grow slightly, you are certainly of age to have a wonderful enhancement of your appearance.

Richard Greco, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon