Do Non-surgical Nose Fillers Have Any Long-term Effects?

Does the non-surgical nose job have any long-term effects? Have injectable fillers been FDA approved for use on the nose? I was wondering if the fillers could cause disease and other complications. I hate my nose but I'm scared to death of getting Rhinoplasty.

Fillers for nasal shaping

+2

Fillers have been used for decades to correct minor nasal deformities an off-label use of these products. The choice of filler for this application is very important. Many physicians promote the use of permanent injectable fillers like silicone. I strongly advise against any permanent filler material. Hyaluronic Acid materials like Restylane and Juvederm would be preferred as they are quickly and safely adjusted or removed. If they are successful in achieving a satisfactory outcome, a longer term filler like Radiesse might be considered.

San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Generally Safe

+2

Most non-surgical fillers are safe to use in the head and neck. However as with any drug, even if it is FDA approved, it is unpredictable what long term effects there may be years down the road. That being said, temporary hyaluronic acid fillers generally work well in the nose. Thin skinned individuals need to be careful because of potential problems with erythema (redness) or sometimes in the worst case scenario, skin necrosis. Because this part of your face doesn't move much, the hyaluronic acid fillers I've placed in the nose have lasted for years. I would not place more permanent fillers in the nose, other parts of the face are safer depending on where you inject. That being said having a rhinoplasty while it can be a little scary, generally offers you permanent long term sucess with minimal risks and complications in the right hands. Hope this helps you.

Samson Lee, MD

Fillers in the Nose

+2

Fillers are not approved by the FDA for nasal injection. While it is common to use small amounts of certain fillers to smooth small defects in the nose, this is an "off-label" use. Using fillers in place of a formal rhinoplasty is often disappointing, and always temporary. Patients would spend much more money over time than having a rhinoplasty, which has permanent results.

Consult with a rhinoplasty surgeon who has experience with all types of nasal treatments before making any decisions. It is best to learn all the angles before having your nose injected with expensive and temporary substances.

Ira D. Papel, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers for a non-surgical rhinoplasty

+2

Hi,

Fillers are not approved by the FDA for use in the nose, so this is considered an "off-label" use of the product. Fillers have not been shown to cause any diseases with long-term use. Fillers can correct small defects on the nose, but they will not provide the same result as a full rhinoplasty. You could certainly start out with a treatment to see how you like the results, since they will be temporary. Speak with your surgeon about rhinoplasty surgery as he or she will be able to address your concerns about surgery and what can be achieved. Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

You may receive what you ask for

+2

Most FDA approved fillers have a limited life span. I do place them into the nose in situations where a patient wants a temporary or immediate result but ALL know the result is not lasting unless autologus tissue was instilled. Even using your own tissue requires repeated injections. I am also assuming that you need to have your nasal bridge raised.

A patient had silicone injected to raise the bridge of her nose and this had to be removed in order to achieve a better result. It was quite difficult to remove the material but you can see how the silicone injected eventually "spread," making her nose look wider.

Michael Kulick, MD

Non-Surgical Nose Job - May Not Be A Quick Fix Long-Term

+2

Filler substances -- such as Restylane, Juvaderm, Radiesse -- are FDA approved for use in the US to correct facial wrinkles and to add volume to the fave. However, they have not been given an specific indication by the FDA for a "non-surgical nose job" -- thus, they are being used in an "off-label" fashion for this purpose.

The deformity of the nose will dictate how much of the injectable substance is required to achieve the desired result. While injectable fillers may be appropriate for treating localized deformities such as depressions or a low bridge, large volumes are required for an substantial change in nasal shape.

Many surgeons are beginning to see patients who come to their practice for revision surgery because they are displeased with the results of injectable fillers. Most of the products that have been on the market for the last several years are temporary. However, newer, longer-lasting fillers have become available. Some of these are permanent. This poses a problem when the result does not meet the patient's expectations. The large volumes of these substances are changing the way the natural tissues appear, which can make revision surgery more difficult, and in some cases, impossible.

Over time, these fillers have been noted to cause skin changes, such as redness and even skin necrosis, in some patients if they are injected too close to the surface of the skin. They may also give the nose a lumpy appearance.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nonsurgical Rhinoplsty (by fillers)

+2

I am not aware of any "diseases" caused by fillers, but there certainly are potential risks and complications and you should discuss this with your physician. Injectable fillers are temporary in effect and some last longer than others. Use of fillers for rhinoplasty is off-label, but that doesn't mean they are not to be used for that purpose. Also, fillers are not for all problems with the nose and for only specific problems. You need a thorough examination of your nose (internal and external) and a comprehensive discussion with your surgeon as to your concerns, your goals and expectations, and the reason you are against a surgical approach (i.e. rhinoplasty). You may have misinformation that he/she can address and put you at ease. The surgeon can address what the alternatives are and how well they might meet your desires and for how long.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Long term side effects on nose fillers

+1
Fillers are not approved by the FDA for nonsurgical rhinoplasty. However, it can be successfully and safely performed in the hands of an experienced and expert physician injector. Patient selection is key. Consult in person with 3 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons who are expert injectors to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Dermal fillers in the nose

+1

None of the dermal fillers are FDA-approved for  injections into the nose.

Hyaluronic acid based fillers like Restylane, Perlane, Juvederm, etc. are OK to use in the nose.  They last anywhere from 6-12 months, and can be reversed with Hyaluronidase should you not like the result.  

I would strongly advise against other types of fillers (such as Radiesse).  While such fillers may last longer, they  can cause localized tissue problems, are not readily reversible if you have problems, and can make any future surgeries more difficult for your surgeon by altering dissection planes in the nose.

Hope this was helpful, Dr. Vartanian

A. John Vartanian, MD
Glendale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Injectable fillers may be helpful for rhinoplasty imperfections

+1

We have found hyaluronic fillers helpful in minor imperfections after rhinoplasty, where the irregularities are minor and do not warrant revision. Fillers are not FDA approved in nasal shaping and the use is considered "off label" though it is perfectly acceptable to do so if proper explanation is given and consent is obtained.

There has been much touted about nonsurgical rhinoplasty with fillers and we feel that results are limited and will not replace surgical rhinoplasty, and of course the results are temporary. In our experience the filler will last little over a year. Rhinoplasty need not be a frightening procedure. Spend some time exploring and perhaps you will find someone in your area you are comfortable with.

peterejohnsonmd