Is Facial Scrub Safe After Laser Therapy?

I am having laser Therapy for Freckles about 2 weeks ago. Can I go for light scrubbing of face. There form some minor black heads as normally and I simply used to scrub them . Can I also do it now after Laser treatment? Pls Guide me.

Exfoliating only two weeks after a laser treatment may cause more redness and irritate the skin while it is still healing. It is recommended to wait to exfoliate for about one month after undergoing laser treatment. To be sure, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment.

2103 Crestmoor Road
Nashville, TN 37215

Facial Scrub after Laser

A lot depends on the type of laser, degree of treatment, your response to it and so on. Your laser doctor should have the final word on this. In general, for deeper laser treatments you should wait until the skin returns to its normal condition, all redness is gone, and it no longer feels tight. This usually takes more than 2 weeks and a month to 6 weeks is often more appropriate.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

3991 MacArthur Boulevard
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Scrubbing Skin After Surgery

Because this could cause more redness, I wouldn’t recommend scrubbing vigorously only two weeks after your treatment as the skin is still healing. It’s ideal to wait to exfoliate for about one month after undergoing treatment with lasers to remove freckles.

Richard Fitzpatrick, MD (in memoriam)
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

9339 Genesee Ave
San Diego, CA 92121

Facial Scrub use after laser treatment

Thank you for your question.  I urge caution in using facial scrubs after IPL treatments, as the spots may be stimulated with the abrasive nature of scrubs.  A mild face cleanser is a better recommendation initially, then working up to a mild scrub if your skin is not red or irritated,  is advised.  If you are having regular blackhead problems, then you need to consider a retinoid product of some sort, such as Tazorac, Adapalene, Retin-A Micro etc.  I would recommend seeing a Board Certified Dermatologist to help get you started.

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist

360 Rose Ave
Danville, CA 94526