I Have Brown Bumps on my Legs, What Are They? (photo)

I have these brown bumps on my legs,thighs and a few on my arms.They sometimes have hair and they become red after showers.I want to know what they are and can I get rid of them.I have had them since I was young and they are very unsightly.I cannot wear shorts or skirts because my friends at school are always staring at them.

Bumps on arms and legs

+2

It looks like you have keratosis pilaris, considered a mild form of eczema, and quite common (40% of people have it to some degree, often starting at puberty and fading with age). The back of the legs and more commonly back of the arms are most affected, and less commonly the cheeks or bum. Treatment involves use of mild topical steroids, topical retinoids, topical lactic or glycolic acid, and urea-based products. Speak with your dermatologist about the best treatment options for you. 

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

How to treat bumps on the arms and legs

+2

Although it is hard to tell from your photos, from your description you most likely have keratosis pilaris, a condition caused by plugged hair follicles. This condition can be a nuisance as well as difficult to treat. I have had a good deal of success treating this condition using a Glytone KP Kit which contains glycolic acid to dissolve the plugs. This can be conveniently purchased online from TheWebDermatologist.com.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Keratosis pilaris treatment

+1

The red bumps are known as keratosis pilaris and can be improved with mild exfoliating pads.  Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Keratosis Pilaris

+1

Your photos are suspicious for skin condition known as kertosis pilaris.  It is very common and results from plugged hair follicles.  Treatments vary, and I would suggest a dermatologist visit and get a RX for topical treatment.

Joel Gotvald, MD, FACS
Austin General Surgeon