Is General Anesthesia Worth the Cost with Smart Lipo MPX?

I am 29, active, no kids. I had a consulatation with a Dr. in San Antonio that is board certified. I want to have lipo in my lower/upper abs, "love handles" and back. I was told about traditional liposuction and Smart lipo. From the information that I received Smart Lipo seemed to be right for me. My main concern is that my Dr recommended GA, due to the fact that some patients find it uncomfortable with the tucking and pulling feeling. Is GA worth the money?

Smartlipo works with local anesthesia

Smartlipo works well with local anesthesia, however, there is a limit to how much can be done at one time.  For all of the areas you want to do, you would need to break it up into at least two sessions to avoid getting too much local anesthesia.  General anesthesia is always an option but many of my patients strongly want to avoid it.

Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

General Anesthesia Worth the Cost with Smart Lipo MPX

ABSOLUTELY!!! MPX Smart lipo on ALL those areas can be very very uncomfortable to  say the least. I have done over a 1,000 MPX Smart Lipos and always recommend a light face mask type of general anesthesia. The more surface areas needed to be treated the more the need for a deeper anesthesia. So the complete abdomen, back, love handles becomes a larger area than you can imagine. Sounds like you doctor has your care and good outcome in order. Regards Dr. DarrylJj. Blinski, NATIONAL CLINICAL INSTRUCTOR for SMART LIPO, Miami, Fl. 

General Anesthesia for Smartlipo

I have found the procedure to be quite comfortable and well-tolerated in the office setting under local anesthesia and mild sedation w/ a pill such as Valium (or similar class). Monitoring of vital signs is still important. It works well for limited areas treated at one time. If you are somewhat anxious about that, or have more than just a few sites to be treated, it may be better to consider a general anesthetic.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Smartlipo and GA

i never resort to general anesthesia when doing smart lipo, can get excellent pain relief from tumescent anesthesia, patients are always comfortable

David J. Goodkind, MD
New Haven Plastic Surgeon

No reason for general anesthesia

There is absolutely no reason to have the added risks of general anesthesia. We have done thousands of these procedures using "conscious sedation" with zero complaints about pain. We use the same medications that are used during a colonoscopy with great results. This is the best, cheapest way with safety being a primary concern. We offer free consultations if you have any further questions. Take care

Jeffrey Adelglass, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

General Anesthesia Saves Time

General anesthesia is only needed when multiple areas are being done.  Most Smart Lipo procedures can easily and safely be performed under local anesthesia, or local anesthesia with sedation.  Toxicity can occur if too much local anesthetic is used at one setting.  Therefore your doctor is considering general anesthesia due to multiple areas.  Even with general anesthesia, it is usually only a light general anesthetic with the patient asleep, but breathing on their own.  Deep general anesthetic includes a breathing machine.  Only a light general anesthetic would be necessary for Smart Lipo, because local anesthetic is used anyway to keep down the bleeding and allow for a lighter anesthetic.

Keith Denkler, MD
Marin Plastic Surgeon

General anesthesia increases your risk of serious complications in exchange for being totally out during the procedure.

General anesthesia increases the risk of serious adverse effects following liposuction in exchange for being totally unaware of the procedure while it is being performed.  Most patients do very well with conscious sedation and tumescent anesthesia and few patients remember much if anything of the procedure.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Smart Lipo MPX and type of anesthsia

Any type of liposuction, whether it be laser assisted liposuction (Smart lipo MPX), ultrasound assisted liposuction (Vaser lipo), or traditional liposuction (tumescent liposuction) can be performed under local anesthesia or local with IV sedation - IF the area is small (the size of one or two palms).  If the are is large (such as the entire abdomen and flanks) or if the area is very dense (such as a man's chest), I would suggest general anesthesia.  You will be more comfortable -- and so will your surgeon. 

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

No need for general anesthesia

There is no reason that Smartlipo cannot be performed under local anesthesia with a small amount of oral sedation. Patients are comfortable, the procedure is safer and the postoperative recovery is usually easier for the pateint without general anesthesia.

Edgar Franklin Fincher, MD, PhD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Smartlipo is ideally performed under local anesthesia or IV sedation

Smartlipo is ideally performed under local anesthesia or IV sedation. General anesthesia should not be necessary to perform the procedure.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist