How Many FUE Grafts Would I Need to Restore my Hairline? (PHOTO)

I lost the hair around my peaks in my early twenties (I'm thirty now), it hasn't worsened much since then. The miniaturized hairs have been like that for years. My hairline looks nearly identical to the hairline my grandfather had through most of his adult life, until he lost it all in his seventies. So, I suspect I should be able to keep what I have. However, I'd like to restore what I've lost. Approximately, how many FUE grafts would I need to do that? Thank you.

How Many Hairline Grafts Do You Need?

It depends on whether you are lowering the hairline or just filling in the receding areas only. If it's the latter then it would be between 1200-1500 grafts

London Hair Restoration Surgeon

FUE Grafts Needed

It's hard to tell from the photos, however an average hairline in patients that have good density but some miniaturization of follicles is around 1,000-1,500 grafts.  This also depends on how much the angles have receded and how much they need to be corrected.  I would not consider lowering your hairline at all.  If you tried anything, possibly reinforcing your hairline in the area of the miniaturized follicles would be best in my opinion. However, you are young and my professional opinion would be to wait a few more years to see what happens to your hairline.

Amir Yazdan, MD
Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Understand what you want and what you need

You need to first have an exam to make sure how extensive your hair loss may be. It doesn't matter if your grandfather never lost hair.  It is about what you have.   A doctor also needs to understand what you mean by "what you lost".  How much lower do you want the hair line?

FUE is just a method of harvesting grafts.  FUE is a great surgery but most people who want the FUE is mislead into thinking it is the best surgery.  

Many doctors push FUE or Neograft or ARTAS claiming "no scar" or "minimally invasive".
Many doctors dissuade patients from strip surgery asking "why would you want a big scar".

I was an engineer working with Dr. Rassman in 1998 (before I became a doctor) . My work involved a concept of a robot which would use a special optical sighting system to align the hairs for an automated FUE. This work became U.S. Patent 6572625 that we licensed to the ARTAS robot. Similar technology from our U.S. Patents are used in the NeoGraft. I perform FUE in my practice with my hybrid FUE instruments, ARTAS, or even NeoGraft. My point is that I am very familiar with the FUE, ARTAS, NeoGraft, and all forms of harvesting hair follicles.

Your focus of surgery should be on RESULTS. Not how a doctor takes out the grafts. From a donor scarring perspective, you keep your hair very LONG so scarring from both surgery should not be an issue. But you may STILL SEE the FUE scars at that length on some occasion. Thousands of white dots.

Just remember a 4000 graft FUE scar is like having a collective open wound hole the size of a baseball on the back of the head. There is nothing minimally invasive about that. I also perform Scalp MicroPigmentation (SMP) and fix horrible FUE scars routinely. These is nothing "scarless" about FUE.

I have performed surgery on Dr. Rassman and his family members using the strip technique. The linear scar on Dr. Rassman is a pencil thin line you probably will have a hard time finding. The point is, a strip surgery scar is not as terrible as the Internet makes it out to be.

Both FUE and Strip surgeries has its place. Don't be caught up in marketing and doctors who try to sell you one type surgery.

The focus should be on Results.
A bad hair transplant result from FUE or Strip is like Herpes. You'll carry it with you for life (with either thousands of dots or a line).

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Photo - How many grafts would I need

I happen to have a patient who looks just like you and had 1200 FUE grafts 10 days before this picture was taken (web reference below). He kept his hair long for the FUE as shown in the photo

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

It's important to stop further hair loss first, which is done non-surgically. As for # of grafts let's look at your donor area

In our practice, hair restoration and transplantation uses an average of 1500 to 2000 hairs in a session, which are dependent on the donor density or the number of hairs per square centimeter of strip. A certain number of hairs are also needed in follicular unit extractions or FEUs where individual hairs are removed by doing small punches on the scalp. Unfortunately for most men, progression of hair loss after transplantation is inevitable especially if they’re not using any medical therapy such as finasteride to reduce dihydrotestosterone (DHT).

Being a hair restoration specialist for over 10 years and being a leader in the field of regenerative medicine in hair restoration, I have actually quantified and developed a method of preventing the progression of hair loss as well as reversing the thinning of hair using a material called extracellular matrix (ECM). Extracellular matrix is material that contains progenitor cells that are absent in balding men. It signals the dermal papilla to begin the hair growth cycle. Extracellular matrix is injected along with platelet-rich plasma (PRP)which is taken from the blood. This combination reverses thinning hair.

In cases of balding and thinning hairs, I usually recommend the injections first before surgery. After a year, I assess how much hair has been salvaged by thickening through the injection, and see if the thickened hair give adequate coverage. From there, we decide the next step. I recommend that you learn more about hair regeneration so that you can restore a lot of those thinning hairs before you move forward to surgery. I hope that was helpful, and thank you for your question.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Based on your photos, I would highly suggest that you avoid HT procedures.  You have a wonderful density and hairline and you risk producing sparse results next to your great dense hair.  I would highly suggest waiting. I have seen too many who have come to see me to repair overly optimistic attempts at improving hairlines that need nothing.  Old saying "don't fix what isn't broken."

Best

Dr. Malouf

Peter Malouf, DO
Dallas Dermatologist

How Many FUE Grafts to Restore Hairline?

It is very unusual for a 30 year old who has experienced hair loss to not have future progression of his alopecia regardless of his family history. You should have a careful examination of your scalp before asking in this forum  how many grafts will be necessary.

Hairline grafts by FUE

An in person consult can get you the best and most accurate number and it also varies by how many hairs are in each graft.  You are looking at least 1000 grafts but its hard to be sure without seeing your donor area or knowing the follicle density of each graft.  If you go to a place that focuses on FUE or focuses on FUT you will probably get a better deal vs a place that does a little of everything or just a few transplants a month.  Also geography matters and marketing matters, as both of these drive overhead and thus costs to you.  

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist

Restore youthful hairline

Based on your pictures you would need at least  2 sessions of grafts whether harvested by FUE  or by strip. The quality of the work is more important than the numbers and good quality FUE grafts should cost more. To get density that could match your apparently thick hair, as many as 4000 grafts might be needed. And, if you follow the family pattern, you will need more grafts later in life so as to not look strange. However, this is all speculation. See a hair transplant specialist in person. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon