70 Joules Fraxel Setting Too Strong?

I had 2 Fraxel laser treaments both of them done with 6 passes all over the face but the second one was done at the setting of 70 joules. Is that to strong? She said that was the strongest setting. I am worried that 70 joules and 6 passes can that cause damage underneath the skin now or in the future, like damaging the collagen such that my face becomes saggy or lumpy because the settings were so high. Is 70 joules common setting? I do have some problem now my lips are swollen.

Fraxel settings

+2

70 joules is a very common energy in our practice, especially for acne scarring because we use the Fraxel energy to PRODUCE more collagen not lose it. Other settings are involved with your treatment, such as, the density and the physician changes these variables to make it safe when the Joules are increased.

Fraxel setting probably not a problem

+1

The energy delivered is a function not only of the power (70 mj in this case), but also other settings on the machine. Assuming all seemed to be well within a matter of days after your treatment, it is very likely that your treatment was handled properly and will hopefully lead to a nice  improvement.

Bruce K. Barach, MD
Schenectady Plastic Surgeon