Fraxel Laser Increased Collagen in the Lips?

The doctor went over my lips by accident with Fraxel Laser (Restore), and now my lips are so swollen it won't go down. Could that have increased the fat that was injected in my lips through fat transfer since it builds collagen? Will the swelling go down?

Likely swollen just from trauma

+1

The lips swell a lot when the are exposed to laser and other resurfacing treatments.  I don't know how far out from surgery you are, but your swelling should go down within days of the procedure.  You may also ask for oral steroids (medrol) to expedite.

Fraxel Laser and Swollen Lips

+1

Hi Niy,

You have not told us how long ago the Fraxel re:store treatment was, or when your fat transfer was.

The swelling will go down with time. 

I hope that your lips return to normal quickly.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Swollen lips after Fraxel Restore will go down with no permanent increase in lip size

+1

The Fraxel Restore does not go deep enough to increase lip size through new collagen production. Your lip swelling is simply inflammation from the treatment and will go down eventually.

You may also have an allergy to the cream or ointment you are using-this is a much more common cause of lip swelling after laser treatments in the lip or peri oral area.

Fraxel does not go deep enough to effect the fat that has been transferred to your lips. If the fat transfer was done at the same time as the Fraxel, it is also contributing to the prolonged swelling-lip swelling after fat transfer can take 3-4 months to resolve

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Fraxel in the lips?

+1

I need more information because I am confused about the specifics. Was the Fraxel performed at the same time as the fat injections, before or after and in what time frame? When was the Fraxel performed and how long has it been that you are still swollen? Did you have any blistering? All of this information will be important to try to assist you in understanding what is going on. In general the Fraxel should not effect the fat that was injected, but certainly can cause swelling in an area as sensitive as the vermilion (the pink or red of the lips).

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon