Fraxel Laser Safe for Brown, Asian Skin?

Is Fraxel laser safe for brown, Asian brown skin? I'm going to have it done next week. I have brown spots on both of my cheek. Please help. Thank you for your time.

Fraxel for the Treatment of Melasma in Asian Patient

+1

Hi Lina,

Fraxel re:store is safe to use in all skin types. In Asian skin treated for melasma (brown pigmented area on your cheek), the settings need to be low, and the time interval between treatments need to be longer.

It is also important to discuss with your treating physician the use of skin bleaching cream before and after your treatments.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Fraxel is safe for darker skin types

+1

Fraxel is one of the safest lasers for your skin type. Prior to this technology, many of the lasers were risky for asian skin because of the risk of darker discoloration (what is referred to as hyperpigmentation). This risk does exist with this laser, but with the right physician (trained in laser surgery) and with careful evaluation of you skin before and after the treatment, this risk is significantly reduced. I have seen wonderful results in many of the Asian patients that I have treated with the Fraxel.

Oakland Dermatologist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.