How Many Days After Fraxel Do I Need to be Strategic about Applying Sunblock?

Hi, May you pls advise on how many days one needs to continue applying the sunblock cream after performing the Fraxel Laser?? Also, when can one start applying Retine A after performing Fraxel Laser??

Sunblock after Faxel

+1

After a fractional laser procedure, I think waiting 7 days before using sunblock and Retin A would be reasonable.

Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fraxel Laser

+1

Sunblock needs to be part of your daily regimen indefinitely, and Retin-A can be used after 10-14 days or longer if you are not resolved.  The redness should be gone or nearly gone.  If you test a small area, your body will tell  you when are ready.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Sunscreen and sun protection is vital after Fraxel

+1

The idea of Fraxel laser resurfacing is to either remove sun damage or reverse the effects of aging on the skin.  Everyone knows that the worst thing for your skin is the sun!  It is important to always use sunscreen to protect your skin, especially after Fraxel.  Depending on your skin sensitivity, I advise waiting two weeks to one month after Fraxel to re-start Retin-A after treatment.

Michele S. Green, MD

Fraxel & Retin-A/Sunblock

+1

Fraxel laser skin resurfacing helps to reverse the effects of aging of the skin by building new collagen. Ultraviolet light, esp., UVA accelerates the aging changes, so I ask my patients to protect with sunblock daily, regardless of any laser treatment.

Studies have shown that Retin-A used before and starting back after the Fraxel benefits healing, new collagen production, and controls the pigment better than without Retin-A. I usually start my patients back on Retin-A after a week following Fraxel restore, but too much, too soon can be irritating. So return to the Retin-A slowly, and monitor the progress. 

Edward Szachowicz, MD, PhD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sunscreen Post Fraxel...

+1

You should use sunscreen EVERYDAY, even if it is cloudy outside UV rays penetrate even through windows.  As for getting back to using Retin-A, you may start back after 5 to 7 days.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

How Many Days after Fraxel do I need to use sunscreen?

+1

The intention of fractional lasers treatments, regardless of brand, is to stimulate new collagen growth  leading to improvement in tone, texture and wrinkles in the skin. Sun exposure ( UV radiation) causes break down of collegn. So using sunscreen daily to protect skin is ideal. Most importantly, it minimizes your accumulated skin damage therefore reducing your risk of skin cancer

Lori A. Brightman, MD

Sunscreen after Fraxel

+1
Assuming you had the Restore or nonablative Fraxel, I recommend a physical (zinc oxide ) based sunscreen right away. UVA rays penetrate window glass so even in your home or car you need to protect yourself. You can usually resume your products after a week.

Jacqueline Calkin, MD
Sacramento Dermatologic Surgeon