Fraxel for 5 Year Old Surgical Scars

I got hit by a car and the driver was drunk. I have allot of scars but the most noticeable ones are on my face. I have train track stitches scars from the guys windshield. I ended up with over 300 stitches and the scars look like it. I don't want anything crazy and i had seen 15 doctors and none could help. I guess this is the new thing and I thought since it was FDA approved it wouldn't be that bad. I kind of stumbled upon this and now i am concerned. It had been 5 years a couple days ago since my accident. I just want the surgical scars gone, so maybe I can move forward without looking and seeing all these scars. Has anyone had surgical scars removed and can tell me about it? My b day is on the 12th and i gonna celebrate my getting it on the 30th of Oct. THANKS

Fraxel laser treatment for surgical scars

+1

Scar tissue is made of thickly arranged collagen fibers. So Fraxel can help improve the appearance of scars since it works by enabling your skin to create normal new collagen fibers that gradually override the scar tissue.

There are several types of Fraxel laser systems. Fraxel Repair works by creating tiny columns of laser light in the skin. This acts to vaporize the surrounding tissue. The overall skin area shrinks. The laser energy turns into heat energy which causes the deeper layers of the skin to produce normal collagen fibers that help fade out the scar tissue. 

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel for scars

+1

Fraxel is a good treatment for scars and will improve a scar even if it is several years old.  The older and larger it is, the more treatments you will need.  Fraxel will not completely erase the scar, but will blend it with your normal skin and likely significantly improve the appearance of the scar.

Jordana S. Gilman, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel Re:store improves surgical scars- even mature scars

+1

I have had the Fraxel re:store skin resurfacing laser since 2004. I use this laser on all the incisions I make on the face to optimize the healing result. The Fraxel re:store (erbium:glass) is also helpful to improve mature scars, although the best results are seen when the laser resurfacing is done early in the wounding.

My protocol is to do 4-6 treatment sessions, spaced up to 4-6 weeks apart (depending how long it takes for the redness to fade between treatments). I like to use topical silicone gel and topical silicone sheets to the scars between treatments to optimize the healing results. I have consistently seen modest results in mature scars. Patients who prefer not to have any more surgery especially appreciated the improvement.

Edward Szachowicz, MD, PhD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fraxel Laser for the Treatment of Old Traumatic Facial Scars

+1

Hi Sparkle,

Fraxel laser is effective in the treatment of old traumatic scars.  It will likely take a series of treatments.  Either Fraxel restore or Fraxel repair may be used depending on how aggressive you wish to be, and how much recovery downtime you can afford.  Choose your treating physician most carefully. Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Encino,CA

Michael A. Persky, MD

There are many technologies for scar treatment, see an expert!

+1

You should see a dermatologist or plastic surgeon with extensive experience in seeing and successfully treating many types of scars both with surgery and energy based technologies including lasers.  The best treatment for you may be a combination of treatments depending on the nature of the scars. 

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon