Can I Go Under General Anesthesia After Hitting Head Hard 2 Weeks Prior to Surgery?

I hit the back of my head hard on Saturday. Today is Thursday. I saw a doc on Monday for pre-op clearance. She checked me out, asked questions, and never diagnosed it as a concussion. I am light sensitive and I can't stay on electronic devices for very long before I just have to look away. I'm trying to rest and rest as much as possible and each day I get a bit better. I feel almost back to normal today. Is this something I should report to my surgical team? Surgery for MM is Feb 22nd. Thanks!

General Anesthesia following Head Trauma

+1

Prior to undergoing general anesthesia even a few weeks following blunt head trauma, I would advise a thorough evaluation for any lingering effects from the hit.  Light sensitivity, headaches, nausea, dizziness, can indicate effects of a concussion.  Also, there is a slight chance of a delayed bleed from an injured blood vessel inside the skull.  Although this is unlikely, unless your surgery is really urgent, it is better to be safe than sorry

Web reference: http://www.rspbpsc.com

Mommy Makeover and Head Injury

+1

Closed head injury if associated with loss of consciousness or other neurological symptoms should be evaluated.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com

Pre Operative Head Trauma

+1

Thank you for the question. The fact that you are still symptomatic would suggest that your surgery should be postponed. Your clearance should be given by a Board Certified Neurologist and you should feel 100%. This is an elective procedure and there is no reason to increase your risks. It is always better to avoid than to treat when possible.

I hope this helps. Best of luck.

Surgery after head injury

+1

If in doubt, wait.  Although rare, significant complications can occur following elective procedures.  Make sure you have had a thorough evaluation by a board certified neurologist and feel like you are back to 100% before undergoing surgery.  Be safe, not sorry.

Tucson Plastic Surgeon

New medical issue prior to surgery

+1

First, you should definitely tell your surgeon immediately. Second, if you havent seen a neurologist, you should. It may be best to postpone your surgery for a short while just to make sure all is good before having general anesthesia. Its much better to reschedule than to risk more problems.

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Surgery

+1

This is elective surgery and everything should be maximized prior to the procedure. Maybe another neurology evaluation is necessary

Surgery after head injury

+1

If you are having any symptoms after a head injury, you should be evaluated by a neurologist.

You should definitely not undergo surgery until you have been cleared by your neurologist.

This is elective surgery; everything must be in order before proceeding.

That is one very good way of avoiding complications.

Consult a Neurologist

+1

Yes you should consult with your surgeon and consider an exam by a neurologist to evaluate for the light sensitivity and rule out DAI (diffuse axonal injury)  to ensure that you are safe to undergo your elective surgery.

Good luck!

Web reference: http://www.talroudnerplasticsurgery.com/before-after/mommy-makeover-photo-gallery/

Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

Surgery after head injury

+1

Thank you for your question about having plastic surgery shortly after a possible concussion. THIS IS IMPORTANT.

• your light sensitivity and electronic device sensitivity suggest mild traumatic brain injury (concussion) to the visual cortex
  • this is at the back of the brain near where you hit your head.
  • You need a full eye exam with vision fields. 
  • Call your plastic surgeon for a referral to a Board Certified Opthalmologist to examine you to see if surgery should be delayed. Best wishes. 

Surgery after head injury

+1

It is good that you had a preop clearance already - was it done by a doctor or a nurse?  Either way, it is important that you communicate this asap to your plastic surgeon just in case they have any concerns about proceeding.  A MM is completely elective surgery and should never be done if there are any other concerns or medical issues.  Good luck!