Price for Mommy Makeover in the U.S.? (photo)

I was wondering if I can find a price as good as the Dominican price quote ($5,900) for abdominoplasty, implants, breast lift, and lipo to sides of abdomen and back in the United States without compromising quality of work. I have done a LOT of research on surgeons as well and am NOT making a decision on price alone. However, I am looking into what I can afford though. Can anyone point me in the right direction? TIA

Price for Mommy Makeover in the U.S.?

+2

It looks like you are a good candidate for the procedures which you are considering. In my community your quoted price would just about cover the implants and the costs of anesthesia and the operating room. Unless you are able to find a surgeon willing to do your surgery without a fee while incurring $7000 or so of overhead, you won't find a better price.

Your fee in the DR will include no post-op care, unless you are willing to fly down. Insurers and medicare usually estimate that that accounts for 30% of the fee. If you were to call our office and ask us to  provide post-op care, we would charge about 30% of our usual fee.

If you have post op problems back home, expect them to be rather pricey. And don't expect a surgeon who did not do your original surgery to take ownership and responsibility for any problems. 

Many patients do just fine by travelling out of the country for surgery. The ones that don't have big problems. 

Extreme Mommy Makeover

+2

I perform this procedure on a regular basis, and, as such, I usually perform tummy tuck, liposuction of flanks and back, breast augmentation and full breast lift in under 4 hours.  I can assure you that this is about as fast as this can be done.  The amount you were quoted would barely cover costs of OR and anesthesiologist.  However, there is a huge variation on the surgeon's fee.  Please find the board certified plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of mommy makeovers each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA   

Mommy makeover price

+2

Thank you for the question and the photos.  As you can imagine the price of plastic surgery is more in the US as compared to Dominican Republic.  The price in the US will vary from region to region and from surgeon to surgeon but I would prepare yourself to pay in the 15-20K range for the combination of breast augmentation, breast lift, and abdominoplasty.  Liposuction of the flanks is often included with the abdominoplasty but this of course can vary among plastic surgeons.  If price is not a limiting factor I would search for board certified plastic surgeons that can show you great before and after photos, good reviews, and that you feel you have developed a good rapport with.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Price for mommy makeover

+2

Hi Chrissymom1981,

thanks for the post. This is a common question and concern. Medical tourism has become big business with patients willing to travel overseas for surgery. This is not buying a car, a watch or jewelry. You don't want to make decisions about your health over the money. There is no question that the money is a sensitive topic. We all understand that. I try to offer our patients a reasonable and fair price for surgery. However, one reason costs are higher here is because of the amount of safety precautions that take place within the US health care system.

You have to factor in the price, the travel, airfare, hotel, etc.. into your costs. Plus, who will take care of you after surgery? Where will you get the follow up care? All surgery involves 3 phases:

1. Presurgery work up, planning, and education

2. the actual procedure

3. post surgery care and recovery.

Travelling abroad will not give you any type of decent follow up care and monitoring.

Even if you find a reputable quality surgeon abroad, all surgeons, no matter how accomplished or credentialed, have some complications once in a while. Anyone who says they don't have ANY complications isn't being honest with you. So, if something went wrong or if you had even a minor complication, who would take care of this? Would you fly back and forth to the DR for care? That would quickly eliminate any cost savings of having surgery there. 

Most importantly, you should have several consultations with board certified plastic surgeons in your area to get an idea of the procedure and costs involved. You will find that the majority are friendly and low pressure not trying to twist your arm into surgery. the price will depend on the different options you are considering and what type of implants you want. 

hope that helps.

Bennett Yang, MD
washington dc

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Price for Mommy Makeover in the U.S

+2

Hi Chrissy, Judging from your photos, it looks like you would be an ideal candidate for a mommy makeover.  The term "mommy makeover" can include so many different types of procedures,  you will want to be sure when you are comparing prices that you are actually getting the same procedures. Sometimes a mommy makeover will include a mini, modified or full abdominioplasty with or without liposuction. At times it may include breast augmentation, mastopexy (breast lift) or even breast reduction depending on your needs.  There is a great deal of variability in the results you will achieve depending on the skill of your plastic surgeon.  I would strongly recommend that you to have your procedure performed in the United States, so that if you have any type of complication you can be confident that your surgeon will be able to provide follow-up care as needed and will be able to handle any issues that should arise.  You put yourself at real risk when you have surgery outside of the U.S. where the standard of care is not always the same.  In the U.S. there is big range of prices for these procedures, so you will want to check around.   Many plastic surgeons offer financing plans to help make the procedure more affordable.  With the amount of surgery involved in a mommy makeover, you want to choose the very best board certified plastic surgeon you can afford for best results. Good luck to you. 

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

A good outcome after mommy makeover is a function of the skill of the surgeon that the price of the operation.

+1

Although I agree with the slogan "you get what you pay for", in the end is the skill of the surgeon not price the operation. I cannot speak to the quality of care that she will get in the Dominican Republic. The price quoted is an exceptional that probably could never be matched in United States by a legitimate surgeon operating in an accredited facility. Do your due diligence.