Floating Tummy Tuck Procedure?

I have had 2 c sections I weigh 8st 10 (122 lbs) at 5'2" and comfortable 8 to 10. But I have an overhang from the sections and although I don't have much if any loose skin above the belly button, I have been advised a floating Tummy Tuck is best option although can find very little info on it. Any advice?

Tummy tuck with "floating" belly button.

+1

Hi!

In Manhattan, we use the "floating" belly button tummy tuck only rarely because few patients are good candidates.

If you have very little loose skin above the belly button, then this can be a good operation. The belly button "floats" slightly down, and ends up about one half inch under where it is now. This procedure does treat the whole abdomen, and is not a mini tummy tuck.

Unfortunately, most women do have loose skin above the belly button, and they need the more conventional abdominoplasty. Here, the belly button is left in its original position, and the abdominal skin is slid down around it.

Mini tummy tuck as an alternative

+1

I'll continue the conversation further by adding a definition differentiating the two surgeries. The difference between an umbilical float abdominoplasty and a mini tummy tuck is that the minitummy tuck is a smaller incision (just longer than a c-section) and just skin removal usually. The umbilical float is done to release the skin underneath the belly button and muscle tightening followed by fairly minor skin removal.

Your belly button should be slightly high or you need to have a long torso, otherwise your result will be somewhat unaesthetic. It'll depend on the artistic eye of the board certified plastic surgeon that you go to (this the ultimate US qualification for a plastic surgeon).

A "Mini" Procedure Will Give You a "Mini" Result

+1

While it may be nice to avoid the circular scar around your belly button, you will be left with too much excess skin above the belly button area.  As wisely stated by the other doctors, having the success of the surgery depend on the extent of the scars virtually ensures a limited result. 

You're too 'wobbly' for a 'floater'

+1

Wobbly,

This is a great question, and points out the importance of choosing the right operation for the right patient.

Since you have lost over 8 stone (122 lbs), no doubt that you have significant vertical and horizontal abdominal skin laxity below you belly button (as you describe). You probably have significant abdominal wall muscle/fascia laxity as well (massive weight loss, and pregnant twice)...

A 'floating tummy tuck' will result in a belly button that is too low on your abdominal wall- you've got too much extra skin to pull down and remove. Very few people are good candidates for a mini-tummy tuck, and especially so for the 'floater' version.

Please reconsider your options and choose a surgeon that will offer you a full abdominoplasty with umbilical transposition and myofascial repair. This is really the gold-standard operation for a patient that has lost the amount of weight that you have (8 stone, congrats on that!) and has delivered two babies.

The result will be long-lasting without any compromises.

Floating Belly Button Tummy Tuck

+1

Dear Wobbly (no more),

Ideal weight / stretch marks and overhang suggest BOTH loose skin and a muscle separation. In these cases a good muscle repair and removal of skin laxity are the key to a good flat tummy.

All Plastic surgeons see women in their offices who are unhappy with work done by their first surgeons. Many of us scratch our heads, think to ourselves "what was he/she thinking" and proceed to see how can we best improve matters.

A LOT of these not so lifted, still-sagging face lifts and not so flat tummies are the results of "Mini" procedures. When women demand "mini" operations so they can attend functions a week later etc - they may get one along with the mini-RESULTS they did NOT want. The adage : "If you want a Mini-Result - Get a Mini-Procedure" often holds true.

There are a variety of ways to perform a "mini" tummy tuck. All of them produce acceptable results in women who do NOT have your description; IE minimal muscle separation minimal skin laxity with no real overhang.

I THINK you may be referring to a floating umbilicus procedure - a rather descriptive definition of mini tummy tuck in which the visible umbilicus is left unmolested in the skin (no scar around the umbilicus but is umbilical stalk is divided and pulled down with the skin.

Wobbly, a mini-abdominoplasty is NOT the procedure for you. I would suggest a consultation with another fully trained Plastic surgeon to see what he/she thinks. It may well be worth it.

Good Luck.