Rectus Diastasis Repair After Hysterectomy?

How long after a c-section hysterectomy do I need to wait to have surgery to fix my rectus diastasis? I am 7 weeks post-surgery and I can't take the bulging and discomfort especially when I try to eat.

C-section then Tummy Tuck

+3

After pregnancy it takes about 6-8 weeks before the uterus shrinks back to normal size. So theoretically you would have your tummy tuck when you are 2 months out from your c-section without any issues. In general though you probably have some more weight to shed off and it you wait you will likely have a better result than if you were to have your surgery done when you are 2 months out from surgery.

I would say move forth with surgery if you feel that you are at the weight you are going to be or if you think you will not be able to shed any more weight.

Good luck.

How long to wait after c-section to have a tummy tuck

+2

There is no consensus on how long you have to wait obviously (from the answer already posted), however, I agree with the other authors that your body needs to have reached some level of stability before moving forward with a tummy tuck. Your muscles need time to strengthen, your skin needs time to heal, and you also need to emotionally ready for a major operation that has a significant recuperation time.

You probably should wait at least 3-4 months, if not longer. I personally would wait at least 6 months.

Nirav Savalia, MD

Diastasis repair after C-section

+2

Agree with other posts about waiting 2-3 months.

Here's another suggestion: as soon as your Ob-Gyn releases you, start doing abdominal exercises. This strengthens your abdominal muscles, but more importantly, makes the muscle closure more secure, and the recovery faster.

Be sure to ask for a pain pump, it will make your recovery that much easier. I have attached below a link to a blogpost on pain pumps and how they improve recovery.

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

Wait 6 months after pregnancy for Diastasis repair and Tummy Tuck

+2

The changes that occur in your body during a nine month pregnancy and C-section are very significant. It takes several months for your body to return to normal.

Although it may be safe to have a diastasis repair 3 months after your pregnancy I believe that your body will be more likely to be closer to normal not sooner than 6 months after the pregnancy.

The closer you are to your normal physical shape, the better your results will be.

See before and after photos of tummy tuck.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Diastasis after C-section

+2

If you had both a c-section and hysterectomy performed simultaneously, it would not have been a good idea to undergo a diastasis repair and tummy tuck at the same time.  You should probably wait 3-6 months before undergoing such surery.  Your symptoms may improve during that time.

John Whitt, MD

Rectus diastasis repair after C-section

+2

Hi,

You are only 7 weeks out from your surgery, so don't be too frustrated that you notice bulging at this point. Some of this may be from the separation of your rectus muscles, but there is also likely some soft tissue swelling at this point which is contributing to the fullness that you see and feel. I agree with the other surgeons that a minimum of 6 months wait would be indicated prior to additional surgery. However, in the meantime you can purchase an abdominal compression garment which will provide some support to the abdomen while your swelling comes down. This should also make you more comfortable. Once you are cleared by your OB/GYN, you should start some exercise to help strengthen your muscles so that you are in good shape prior to your next surgery. Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

In most cases it can be repaired at the same time.

+2

In most cases, diastasis repair / abdominoplasty can be preformed at the same time as hysterectomy.  However, since you have already had the surgery, it would be best to wait three to six months to have another surgery.

David Shafer, MD

Diastasis repair before Hysterectomy

+2

Dear Lpr1967,

Ideally, the diastasis COULD have been repaired in a joint operation GYN-Plastic at the time of the hysterectomy.

Now - for it to be done safely and minimize complications, it would need to be done when the inflammation has subsided. That period varies from person to person 4-6 months is the usual range.

Hope this answered your question. Cheer up, the time will pass by quickly and the result will be much better.

Time after hysterectomy to perform diastasis repair

+2

This varies tremendously among different practitioners. However, the vast majority of physicians usuallyrecommend to defer surgery for 3-4 months prior procedures. This allows sufficient time for the healing process to proceed.

Tummy tuck after hysterectomy

+1

Too bad you did not have the tummy tuck at the same time.  I would have you wait about 6 months to completely heal before going in to tighten the diastasis.