Uneven Nostrils - Can This Be Fixed?

I had rhinoplasty done back in 2000. I had a bump on my nose that was fixed. The surgeon did a minor refinement on my tip. He also lifted the angle of nose a little bit. I dont like the fact that i have one nostril bigger than the other. The surgeon didnt touch my nostrils. Is it possible to make the bigger nostril match the smaller one? Is this fixable?

Correction of nostril asymmetry

+2

Additional surgery is definitely an option is your are concerned about your nostrils.  It would likely require more support on the right, collapsed side using your own cartilage.  However I find that correction of nostril asymmetry is one of the most difficult things to promise in rhinoplasty.  Experienced rhinoplasty surgeons definitely get improvement, but rarely perfect symmetry.  So please keep this in mind if you consider more surgery. 

Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes but here is the deal...

+2

Hi,

Your bigger nostril is actually the normal nostril.  the smaller side has collapsed due to a combination or scar tissue and work on the lower lateral cartilages.  To correctly improve your asymmetric nostrils, supporting cartilage grafts need to be added to the right side (the collapsed side).  Do not reduce the left side (your left side) because then your nostrils will be even more asymmetric and you may end up with breathing difficulties.  See a few good rhinoplasty specialists and be examined up close.

Shervin Naderi, MD, FACS
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Uneven Nostrils

+1

Uneven nostrils can be due to a deviated caudal septum, asymmetric lower lateral cartilages and differences in the size and shape of the alar lobules (especially after Weir excisions).  Additional views of your nose would be helpful to determine the best combination of procedures to improve you nostril symmetry.

Daniel Reichner, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty revision for uneven nostrils

+1

IF you are otherwise happy with your nasal appearance, I would urge you to be cautious in undergoing any additional surgical procedures as there is a risk for causing other secondary problems with the apperance of the tip. Currently, I don't believe the vast majority of your public would even notice the findings you describe.

Uneven nostrils can be repaired.

+1

I read your concern, and I saw the base view of your nose that demonstrates your nostril asymmetry. Very few people will view you from this angle, so if you're otherwise happy with your appearance, I would not recommend revision rhinoplasty surgery.

In general, the smaller side is repaired to restore symmetry, and maintain your airway. I think making your left nostril small like your right could impair your breathing.

All the best from NJ.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Uneven Nostrils

+1

Perfectly symmetrical nostrils are rare, but yours can be improved. You state that you would like to reduce the larger nostril, but that may compromise nasal breathing. Consult with your surgeon or see a revision rhinoplasty specialist to discuss alternatives.

Uneven Nostril Correction

+1

Nostril asymmetry after a rhinoplasty can most likely be corrected by a secondary procedure.  To be sure, it would be useful to see your before photos. Discuss your concerns with your doctor and let him give you his recommendation based on your pre-operative condition and the procedure actually done.

Randy J. Buckspan, MD

Nostril shape

+1

Tough call to improve the nostrils. Your right nostril looks almost collapsed.   Difficult to say without an exam.