Uneven Nostrils - Can This Be Fixed?

I had rhinoplasty done back in 2000. I had a bump on my nose that was fixed. The surgeon did a minor refinement on my tip. He also lifted the angle of nose a little bit. I dont like the fact that i have one nostril bigger than the other. The surgeon didnt touch my nostrils. Is it possible to make the bigger nostril match the smaller one? Is this fixable?

Correction of nostril asymmetry

+2

Additional surgery is definitely an option is your are concerned about your nostrils.  It would likely require more support on the right, collapsed side using your own cartilage.  However I find that correction of nostril asymmetry is one of the most difficult things to promise in rhinoplasty.  Experienced rhinoplasty surgeons definitely get improvement, but rarely perfect symmetry.  So please keep this in mind if you consider more surgery. 

Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes but here is the deal...

+2

Hi,

Your bigger nostril is actually the normal nostril.  the smaller side has collapsed due to a combination or scar tissue and work on the lower lateral cartilages.  To correctly improve your asymmetric nostrils, supporting cartilage grafts need to be added to the right side (the collapsed side).  Do not reduce the left side (your left side) because then your nostrils will be even more asymmetric and you may end up with breathing difficulties.  See a few good rhinoplasty specialists and be examined up close.

Shervin Naderi, MD, FACS
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nostril and tip Refinement in Secondary Revisional Rhinoplasty

+1
Unfortunately you are in good company. Most rhinoplasty patients out there are very unhappy with their results in 1-2 years. The explanation for this is very simple: Most surgeons performing rhinoplasty do not have advanced training or experience, they perform the rhinoplasty of 50 years ago. Decades ago thought process of rhinoplasty was to remove cartilage to refine the shape of the nose and perform it through an open approach. An open approach makes it easy for neophyte surgeons to access visualize and manipulate the structures but also unnecessarily destroys two arteries and veins that are important for nasal vascularity. The open approach thus ensures that patients have 1-2 years of risidual swelling which hides the final result. Most rhinoplasties out there I consider cartilage robbing thus when the swlling resolves there is inadequate structure to provide aesthetic appearance and fight the cicatriacial forces or the continued scarring that results from the lowered oxygen tension and fibrosis of tissues. One additional problem it that most rhinoplasty surgeons out there inadvertently break the connection between the bony nose and the cartilagenous nose. this can cause irregular narrowing and what we calll "the inverted V deformity" which means the outline of the nasal bone becomes visible through the skin particularly in flash photography under certain lighting conditions.

In my opinion, an expert level rhinoplasty is always performed in a closed technique and ALWAYS involves grafting to add to the structural integrity of the nose. The act of opening the nose even under the closed technique causes healing and some contraction, thus for a long term beautiful result the nose must be left more structurally sound than it was found. This is missed upon most rhinoplasty surgeons.

In secondary cases such as yours it is even more crucial that sound grafting techniques are used. It sounds like at a minimum you will needa columellar strut but a complete L-strut and alar strut. I Definitely do not consider any rhinoplasty procedure that does not include grafting preferably by an experienced Plastic and reconstructive training with ddition fellowship level craniofacial and aesthetic training. Of course this is my bias because it is my training but I think this level of training is very necessary for success in secondary and tertiary rhinoplasty because there is delicate nuance involved and every patient requires different maneuvers. I hope this helps!

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Rian A. Maercks, MD

Uneven nostrils

+1

Your nostril asymmetry is at least in part due to a deviated columella +/- septum - there is also possible intrinsic asymmetry which contouring and grafting can improve

Sam Naficy, MD

Uneven Nostrils

+1

Uneven nostrils can be due to a deviated caudal septum, asymmetric lower lateral cartilages and differences in the size and shape of the alar lobules (especially after Weir excisions).  Additional views of your nose would be helpful to determine the best combination of procedures to improve you nostril symmetry.

Daniel Reichner, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Fixing uneven nostrils

+1
Asymmetries on the tip and nostrils are very difficult to fix. With some limitations, cartilaginous grafting techniques can be performed to augment the weaker side. An alar rim graft may help with the right nostril. Sometimes a septoplasty can straighten the columella to allow better breathing. Spreader grafts can also help if there is a concave upper lateral cartilage creating a retraction of the tip on one side.  
 For many examples, please see our rhinoplasty photo  Gallery link below

Rhinoplasty revision for uneven nostrils

+1

IF you are otherwise happy with your nasal appearance, I would urge you to be cautious in undergoing any additional surgical procedures as there is a risk for causing other secondary problems with the apperance of the tip. Currently, I don't believe the vast majority of your public would even notice the findings you describe.

Uneven nostrils can be repaired.

+1

I read your concern, and I saw the base view of your nose that demonstrates your nostril asymmetry. Very few people will view you from this angle, so if you're otherwise happy with your appearance, I would not recommend revision rhinoplasty surgery.

In general, the smaller side is repaired to restore symmetry, and maintain your airway. I think making your left nostril small like your right could impair your breathing.

All the best from NJ.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Uneven Nostrils

+1

Perfectly symmetrical nostrils are rare, but yours can be improved. You state that you would like to reduce the larger nostril, but that may compromise nasal breathing. Consult with your surgeon or see a revision rhinoplasty specialist to discuss alternatives.

Uneven Nostril Correction

+1

Nostril asymmetry after a rhinoplasty can most likely be corrected by a secondary procedure.  To be sure, it would be useful to see your before photos. Discuss your concerns with your doctor and let him give you his recommendation based on your pre-operative condition and the procedure actually done.

Randy J. Buckspan, MD