Uneven Nostrils - Can This Be Fixed?

I had rhinoplasty done back in 2000. I had a bump on my nose that was fixed. The surgeon did a minor refinement on my tip. He also lifted the angle of nose a little bit. I dont like the fact that i have one nostril bigger than the other. The surgeon didnt touch my nostrils. Is it possible to make the bigger nostril match the smaller one? Is this fixable?

Correction of nostril asymmetry

+2

Additional surgery is definitely an option is your are concerned about your nostrils.  It would likely require more support on the right, collapsed side using your own cartilage.  However I find that correction of nostril asymmetry is one of the most difficult things to promise in rhinoplasty.  Experienced rhinoplasty surgeons definitely get improvement, but rarely perfect symmetry.  So please keep this in mind if you consider more surgery. 

Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Uneven nostrils

+1

Your nostril asymmetry is at least in part due to a deviated columella +/- septum - there is also possible intrinsic asymmetry which contouring and grafting can improve

Sam Naficy, MD

Uneven Nostrils

+1

Uneven nostrils can be due to a deviated caudal septum, asymmetric lower lateral cartilages and differences in the size and shape of the alar lobules (especially after Weir excisions).  Additional views of your nose would be helpful to determine the best combination of procedures to improve you nostril symmetry.

Daniel Reichner, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Fixing uneven nostrils

+1
Asymmetries on the tip and nostrils are very difficult to fix. With some limitations, cartilaginous grafting techniques can be performed to augment the weaker side. An alar rim graft may help with the right nostril. Sometimes a septoplasty can straighten the columella to allow better breathing. Spreader grafts can also help if there is a concave upper lateral cartilage creating a retraction of the tip on one side.  
 For many examples, please see our rhinoplasty photo  Gallery link below

Rhinoplasty revision for uneven nostrils

+1

IF you are otherwise happy with your nasal appearance, I would urge you to be cautious in undergoing any additional surgical procedures as there is a risk for causing other secondary problems with the apperance of the tip. Currently, I don't believe the vast majority of your public would even notice the findings you describe.

Uneven nostrils can be repaired.

+1

I read your concern, and I saw the base view of your nose that demonstrates your nostril asymmetry. Very few people will view you from this angle, so if you're otherwise happy with your appearance, I would not recommend revision rhinoplasty surgery.

In general, the smaller side is repaired to restore symmetry, and maintain your airway. I think making your left nostril small like your right could impair your breathing.

All the best from NJ.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Uneven Nostrils

+1

Perfectly symmetrical nostrils are rare, but yours can be improved. You state that you would like to reduce the larger nostril, but that may compromise nasal breathing. Consult with your surgeon or see a revision rhinoplasty specialist to discuss alternatives.

Uneven Nostril Correction

+1

Nostril asymmetry after a rhinoplasty can most likely be corrected by a secondary procedure.  To be sure, it would be useful to see your before photos. Discuss your concerns with your doctor and let him give you his recommendation based on your pre-operative condition and the procedure actually done.

Randy J. Buckspan, MD

Nostril shape

+1

Tough call to improve the nostrils. Your right nostril looks almost collapsed.   Difficult to say without an exam.