Hanging Columella Reduction Under Local Anesthesia

In a rhinoplasty 5 years ago my nasal bones were narrowed and tip rotated up. When I smile my nose looks pinched with an excessively wide alar base, and my columella hangs far below the tip giving my nose a cartoonish "hook" down. I have heard that is possible to have a septal reduction to lift the columella under local anesthesia, if that's the main problem. I'd like to avoid a full revision surgery if possible. Is this recommended? How can I find a surgeon who does this? What would it cost?

Columellar show and rhinoplasty

+1

The nasolabial angle will determine whether the columellar reduction should be performed under local anesthesia.  I perform these in my practice and use this tool as a guide. 

Treatment of hanging columella

+1

The hanging columella is often more complex than what may be apparent.  Although some hanging columellas may be improved with a relatively easy procedure under local, many other hanging columellas require additional techniques and use of IV sedation

Sam Naficy, MD

Hanging columella reduction

+1

Certainly a tip plasty procedure can be done on the nose. The membranous and cartilaginous caudal septum are trimmed, bringing the columella up and inwards. Occasionally composite grafts have been put in the nostril rims to bring the alar rims down if they are retracted upwards. The tip plasty can be done under local anesthesia, but for most rhinoplasty procedures we do them under general anesthesia so that there is no conscious awareness while the procedure is being performed.

Hanging Columella and Wide Alar Base

+1

The hanging columella can be corrected and the alar base narrowed under local anesthesia. A careful examination will determine what is necessary, but you do not need a full revision. Costs will be clarified before surgery, but do vary depending on geographic location and who does the work.

Can Columella Reduction Be Done Under Local Anesthesia?

+1

Without an examination and side views, it is difficult to give a definitive answer.

However, in most cases the cause of hanging columella is excess soft tissue between the columella and the septum, which can be removed under local anesthesia in the office.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Office Correction of Hanging Columella

+1

Dear 199543 in NY

To answer your question: I have performed what we call a "caudal trim" for a hanging columella in my office under only local anesthesia. The body part is basically "external". Good luck. 

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Hanging columella

+1

Without a full exam, it is hard to say.  Certainly rhinoplasty work can be done under sedation. I do not like doing things under local on this area, because of the discomfort.

Rhinoplasty correction can be done under local anesthesia.

+1

Hi.

1) We use local anesthesia with some sedation. The important thing is to have a board certified anesthesiologist for safety.

2) When you correct one part of the nose (hanging collumella), it has implications for other parts. So the surgeon has to be free to do what's necessary as the operation proceeds and the anatomy changes.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Revision Rhinoplasty Hanging Columella Under Local Anesthesia

+1

Looking at the one photo provided, it does appear that you have a hanging columella and a wide nasal base. Without seeing other views, it is somewhat difficult to determine what would be best in terms of a revision rhinoplasty procedure. Strictly speaking, the hanging columella can be addressed successfully under local anesthesia. This involves injecting an anesthetic solution in and around the bottom of the nose. The columella can then be approached with an incision made along both sides with subsequent adjustments made through this approach. Make sure you consult with a revision rhinoplasty specialist who has photos of other patients they have done using this technique. Good luck.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Your hanging columella may require revision rhinoplasty surgery.

+1

I read your concern, and I reviewed the photo you posted. You may require revision rhinoplasty performed with general anestheitc to prevent your columella from hooking down when you smile. I doubt you would get significant improvement by having only your septum reduced under local anesthetic.

You'll likely need to have your tip supported with a cartilage graft (C-strut), and have your lower lateral cartilages divided to allow your columella to rise up. Septal shortening may be performed at the same operation.

All the best from NJ.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon