Skincare Routine After Before and After Rhino? Is 1 Week Enough Time Off Work?

Hi to all & thanks in advance for input! I plan to go in for a surgery in few months (still "shopping" around for the right doctor) & have a few questions that I haven't been able to find answers to. 1.) How will my skincare routine need to change before and after surgery? Right now I'm using Retin A, salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, and glycolic acid. I also get airbrush tans. 2.) How will my nose look if I go back to work in 7 days? 3.) I usually wax my face. Any alternatives while healing?

Skincare after Rhinoplasty

+2

You can continue with your normal skin care before surgery.  Most patients resume skin care when the cast is removed, usually one week after the operation. You can also resume facial waxing at that time. I would avoid air brush tans for about two weeks. 

Skincare after rhinoplasty and time off work

+1

Since there will be a cast on the bridge of the nose, it is impossible to use skin care products on the nose.  Facial skin care products can certainly be used in the postoperative period since the incisions are all on the internal portion of the nose.  Airbrush tanning will have no effect on the nasal surgery.  Seven days after the surgery there will likely be residual bruising and swelling present that may raise questions with your work colleagues.  We tell patients to take at a minimum 10-14 days off from work if they do not want to have anybody detect that they had something done.

SkinCare Post Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Courtney,

Skin care when gently applied after 5-7 days of surgery is fine. Facial waxing should be fine at the same timeline but you will need to have your surgeon's approval first as he/she will have to assess your level of recovery before you engage into facial waxing.

As for the airbrush tans, I recommend that you wait about 3 weeks before you resume it.

Finally, your nose will look relatively swollen at one week post surgery but you should be able to go to work.

Thank you for your inquiry and the best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Skin Care

+1

Good skin care before and after peels is the key to healthy procedural results.  If you have a good regimen now, continue until the your procedure.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon