Post-op Tummy Tuck and I Feel Pain After Walking Slow on Treadmill

I am post op 5 weeks and starting walking on the treadmill very slow last week. I normally work out 5 days a week on the eliptical. I started at 1.0 on treadmill for 20 minutes last week. This week I slowly increased it to 2.5 and today after walking 25 minutes I felt something pop. This is not the first time I felt that pop, except it was on the other side. It seems that after I walk I am hurting. It normally goes away in the morning, but am I safe to walk on treadmill?

Popping after Abdominoplasty

+4

Please stop your exercising and consult with your surgeon.  You may be pushing yourself too early.  I tell my patients to not do any exercise (except walking and light treadmill) until 6 to 8 weeks after an abdominoplasty.  There are internal stitches which need to heal.  This process takes 6 to 8 weeks for the collagen to grow and the tissues to start to heal.  It takes several more months for the collagen to organize.  Please to not jeopardize your results by pushing yourself too early.

Good Luck.

Post abdominoplasty exercize

+2

You are overdoing it.  Back off the treadmill and see your doctor.  One of the hardest things for an active person to do after surgery is to give their body the rest it needs to heal properly.  Jumping the gun just makes for frustration, pain and possibly damage to the operated area. 

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D>

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Return to exercise after tummy tuck

+2

The best advice is to listen to your body. If you feel pain or discomfort, there is no reason to push yourself.  You are only 6 weeks out and there is no harm in waiting another 2, 3,, or even 4 weeks. You have the rest of your life to get in shape, but  you need to allow complete healing of your procedure first.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Stop exercising

+2

If you are hurting and hearing "pops"when you ar on the treadmill  then you are doing too much too soon.  You should see your surgeon soon.  Do not exercise until you do.  It takes time to heal from an abdominoplasty and people heal at slightly different rates.  It's great that you feel good enough to exercise, but you could set yourself back doing so.

Lori H. Saltz, MD

"I felt something pop" is NOT something Plastic Surgeons want to hear from a Tummy Tuck Patient

+2

Regarding: "Post-op Tummy Tuck and I Feel Pain After Walking Slow on Treadmill
I am post op 5 weeks and starting walking on the treadmill very slow last week. I normally work out 5 days a week on the eliptical. I started at 1.0 on treadmill for 20 minutes last week. This week I slowly increased it to 2.5 and today after walking 25 minutes I felt something pop. This is not the first time I felt that pop, except it was on the other side. It seems that after I walk I am hurting. It normally goes away in the morning, but am I safe to walk on treadmill
?"

No Plastic surgeon wants to hear his Tummy Tuck patients utter the following two words in a single sentence: Pop (or popping) and Hurt (or Pain).

Achilles tendons pop. Tennis racket strings pop. Unfortunately, when overly stressed, the muscle repair stitches of a Tummy Tuck pop as well. This means that the tissues brought together are now released to spread out, undoing, to a variable extent, the degree of muscle repair and potentially losing the flatness achieved by the surgery.

You need to see your Plastic surgeon as soon as possible. In the mean time, I would stop doing what you were doing unless cleared by your surgeon.

Dr. Peter Aldea 

+2

It sounds like it is possible that the pop that you felt could have been the iternal suturing repairing the abdominal muscles coming apart.  You should consult with the surgeon who performed the surgery to see exaclty what was done, and whether he/she feels that you are ready to exercise.  I typically will let my patients get on a treadmill by 4 weeks, but if I repaired the rectus muscles, I have them continue to wear an abdominal binder during exercise.  But your doctor should advise you what you should and should not be doing depending on the surgery you had.  Good luck

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

+2

CALL your chosen surgeon ASAP. You are hurting yourself! Stop ant exercise until seen by your chosen PS. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski

Tummy tuck pain and popping

+2

Typically after a tummy tuck it isn't normal to pop and hurt, this could suggest that some of the internal sutures have released the tissues or they themselves have come apart.  Consult your board certified plastic surgeon for assistance to be sure you don't need to be repaired, that's a possibility.  Best wishes

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Exercise after tummy tuck

+2

I usually give my patients the okay to work out doing aerobics at about 3-4 weeks.  Every one is different and you should ask your surgeon.

Pain with exercise after tummy Tuck

+1

Thank you for your question. As others have stated it sounds as though you are doing too much too soon after your tummy tuck.

Be sure to see and be examined by your plastic surgeon and ask for his or her opinion or advice regarding exercise..

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS