Is a Tummy Tuck with an Under-active Thyroid Safe?

I Would Like to Have a Tummy Tuck, but I Have Under Active Thyroid is It Safe to Get This Operation Done, is There Any Risks?

Hypothroidism & Tummy Tuck

+2

A tummy tuck or any other operation requiring a similar period of general anesthesia would be accompanied by an increase risk, assuming you are not taking thyroid replacement medication.  If you are on thyroid medication, you risks should not be significantly increased.

Hypothyroid tummy tuck

+2

Hypothyroidism is a condition that can certianly alter the wound healing response.  To lesser degrees, the thyroid can considerably change your bowel habits and constipation and bloating would be quite uncomfortable after an abdominoplasty.  It is recommendable to correct your thyroid levels and symptoms prior to moving forward with an operation.  Best wishes,

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Thyroid condition and tummy tuck surgery

+2

I would recommend you visit with an internal medicine specialist for  a formal thyroid evaluation.   Thyroid conditions are very common and can be easily managed with medications.  Once your thyroid issues have been stabilized, then you should consider elective cosmetic surgery.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Thyroid condition and a tummy tuck

+2

As long as you getmedical clearance and your thyroid condition is under control, I see no reason to not have a tummy tuck.

+1
It is likely that you will be able to undergo the tummy tuck procedure safely, despite hypothyroidism. Always best to have medical conditions under optimal control prior to proceeding. Your internist and/or endocrinologist will be your best resource when it comes to specific advice/recommendations. Best wishes.

Underactive thyroid and cosmetic surgery.

+1

Prior to undergoing any cosmetic procedure, you need to have your medical conditions stabilized and treated. An underactive thyroid can lead to difficulties with wound healing. This should be addressed in the preoperative medical clearance for anesthesia and surgery that you undergo with your primary care physician or endocrinologist. If the thyroid medication has properly treated your underactive thyroid, it should be okay for you to undergo a tummy tuck.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck safety with medical problem like thyroid

+1

Any cosmetic procedure can have its complications but they are usually a small percentage of patients. If there is a medical problem like hypothyroidism, you should consult your medical doctor. Usually, if you are under control with medications, like for diabetes, it should not interfere with any surgery. Safety and getting the results that the patient wants are both my overriding concerns with any cosmetic surgery that I do. You may want to check our pricing for because of the recessioin on this side, we are getting many more patients from overseas. Watch my videos. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Surgery Requires Physician Clearance For Any Medical Condition

+1

As with any medical condition that may impact healing after any major surgery, it is important that your thyroid condition is evaluated and managed by an internal medicine physician. With your thyroid condition under good medical control and with clearance by your physician, tummy tuck surgery is perfectly safe and you should have an uncomplicated recovery period.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

+1

Regarding: "Is a Tummy Tuck with an Under-active Thyroid Safe?
I Would Like to Have a Tummy Tuck, but I Have Under Active Thyroid is It Safe to Get This Operation Done, is There Any Risks
?"

An under active thyroid or HYPOThyroidism is associated with a decreased metabolism and proper functioning throughout the body as well as with fluid accumulation and depression. The condition is completely reversible with proper thyroid supplementation and can be monitored by following the blood levels of TSH the hormone released to bring out the release of thyroid hormone. With low thyroid production, TSH levels are high. With proper thyroid supplementation the TSH level return to normal levels.

No elective operation should be done in a hypothyroid patient. Once your thyroid hormone levels are normalized your operative risk will be the same as everyone in your age group.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Hypothyroidism and surgery

+1

Hypothyroidism is the medical condition for underactive throid hormone production.  There are acute and long term issues with this condition.  If you are on therapeutic thyroid hormone replacement, you should be at no greater risk.  However, if your hypothroidism was failed to be diagnosed for extended time, you can develop permanent dysfunction, in particular, the heart which may affect your course.  Please ask your primary care doctor if your disease is well controlled. 

Vishnu Rumalla, MD