Sebaceous Cysts on Scrotum

I've been diagnosed with sebaceous cysts on my scrotum skin (18). 2 of them are medium, and the rest are tiny. None are infected. My doc wants to excise them. 1. What is "sac-removal"? 2. How on earth can Scrotum skin be anesthetized? With a needle? That's eventually 18 needle shots for me, MY GOD! 3. Any alternatives to this excision business? 4. Dissolvable sutures ok for scrotum? 5. When doc said this is minor stuff did he say that for comfort Or is sebaceous cysts removal complicated?

Scrotal Cyst Removal Routine

+2

First, it is highly unlikely you have sebaceous cysts in this area. True sebaceous cysts, steatocystoma multiplex, are found on the chest wall, armpits, and occasionally on the arm. You are far more likely to have scrotal cysts, which are basically epidermoid cysts. These are keratin filled, not sebum filled and have nothing to do with the sebaceous gland.

These cysts are basically a wall or sac, containing keratin. The physician extrudes the contents and then pulls out ( removes)  the sac. 

Two suggestions here to make this a much more comfortable procedure for you. Your physician can do this in too sessions., This will also make it more tolerable post-operatively. 

Also, ask the physician to apply a topical medication for thirty minutes before beginning the procedure. The skin on your scrotum is the thinnest on the body, so take advantage of this anatomic fact.  The topical anesthetic will make administering the local anesthetic  nearly painless.

These actually are fairly easy to remove, in fact easier than many epidermoid cysts located elsewhere.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Scrotal cysts

+1

These cysts can be excised, one by one, after they're all anesthesized.  A topical anesthetic cream can be applied prior to the injections and with the use of a very tiny needle, there need not be much pain as the cysts and their epidermal enclosure, their sac, is removed. Usually the sutures need to be removable for it to heal best, but there are times that dissolvable sutures may be sufficient.

Ronald Shelton, MD