What Does It Feel Like to Have a Splint Removed After a Septoplasty?

How much pain should I expect when its its time to have the splint removed after nose surgery? Is the pain a dull ache or sharp, shooting, pain?

Post Rhinoplasty Office Visits Should Not Be Painful

Removing either the internal nasal stents or the external nasal splint should be done gently to minimize discomfort. In my office we use a liquid that dissolves glue holding the nasal splint in place making removal much easier. The internal stents are sprayed down with a topical anesthetic and a decongestant to make removal more comfortable. Overall, neither should be painful.

Hope this helps...

Oklahoma City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Removing a septoplasty splint

The external splint is held on by surgical tape so it's like slowly removing a bandaid. No pain at all. If you are referring to an internal splint, that might be a bit uncomfortable. If you are anxious about this, you could certain take pain medication about 1/2 hour prior to the splint removal (after you've gotten to the doctor's office!)

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Splint removed

Removing the external splint from rhinoplasty has only a mild tugging sensation and no pain. Internal splints for septoplasty can be a little more irritating but is over quickly.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon