What Does It Feel Like to Have a Splint Removed After a Septoplasty?

How much pain should I expect when its its time to have the splint removed after nose surgery? Is the pain a dull ache or sharp, shooting, pain?

Post Rhinoplasty Office Visits Should Not Be Painful

+1

Removing either the internal nasal stents or the external nasal splint should be done gently to minimize discomfort. In my office we use a liquid that dissolves glue holding the nasal splint in place making removal much easier. The internal stents are sprayed down with a topical anesthetic and a decongestant to make removal more comfortable. Overall, neither should be painful.

Hope this helps...

Oklahoma City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Removing a septoplasty splint

+1
The external splint is held on by surgical tape so it's like slowly removing a bandaid. No pain at all. If you are referring to an internal splint, that might be a bit uncomfortable. If you are anxious about this, you could certain take pain medication about 1/2 hour prior to the splint removal (after you've gotten to the doctor's office!)

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Splint removed

+1

Removing the external splint from rhinoplasty has only a mild tugging sensation and no pain. Internal splints for septoplasty can be a little more irritating but is over quickly.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon