Long, Narrow Face - Fat Transfer to Mandible Area?

I want to give my long narrow face a more "Square" appearance and strengthen my jawline. Rather than getting jaw angle implants, I was wondering if a Fat transfer to this area would be a good alternative to achieve what I'm looking for?

Facial fat transfer for changing facial contour

+3

facial fat micro-grafting or fat transfer is a very useful plastic surgery procedure. I have been able to widen the face and jaw lines by fat grafting over the jaw lines, jowel areas, and the cheeks. The results that I have seen in patients have been great, but it takes few weeks for the swelling to subside.

Using fat grafting to create more masculine jaw

+2

Yes, fat grafting can be used to augment the mandibular angles to create a more square appearance to the face. It is an excellent alternative to implants and is also less invasive.

If you wanted, you could test out the new look with a filler such as restylane, juvederm or radiesse before having a fat grafting procedure.

The fat can be harvested from wherever you have excess. For men the abdomen or love handles are common locations.

A better idea of what changes are possible in your case can be made with an examination in the office.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Fat Transfer Can Be Used To Improve Strengthen Jaw Line and Mandible

+2

While a photograph would be helpful, fat transfer can be used to strengthen a jaw line and mandible.  A thorough consultation is necessary to determine your best course of action.  Your own body fat can be used  to sculpt and shape your jaw line. There are multiple modalities that cosmetic surgeons use to harvest and prepare your bod fat. I have had success with the body jet liposuction to harvest and prepare the fat for transfer.

Mark Berkowitz, MD
Sterling Heights Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fat transfer or jaw implants to make the jaws stronger

+1

Fat transfer can be done but if you want a more stronger and angular appearance lateral jaw / mandible implants are the better option.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat transfer versus a solid implant for the jawline.

+1

Fat transfer is great, but it works best in areas that aren't "dynamic"  Dynamic areas that move all the time, like the angle of the jaw, tend to milk the result out of the area before the graft "takes".  I prefer using fat in less dynamic areas like the cheek bones, sub-malar areas and so on.  Angle of the jaw implants work well, but it can be really hard to get a perfectly symmetrical result.  Mostly due to baseline asymmetry of the mandible, which can be way "off" side to side.  Patient's rarely are aware of this unevenness until after surgery.  Short answer, angle of the jaw - no silver bullet.  

Ritu Chopra, MD

Fat transfer to mandible area?

+1
Dear AverageGuy, It is difficult to answer your question without a photograph to examine your exact problem. A side view and front view would be very helpful in creating a possible surgical plan. If you are not comfortable putting photographs up on this site please feel free to send them to my web link below and I would be happy to give you my expert opinion. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD