Swelling and Bruising After Facial Fat Transfer / Hematoma

5 weeks ago I had a fat transfer to the right side of my face to conceal and indentation caused by a growth (nf1), however there was another growth that was cut into and I ended up with a large hematoma in addition to the fat that was transfereed. The area is still very numb and swollen, how long will it be before the swelling and brusing go and is there anything I can take to improve the situation?

Bleeding after fat transfers

+2

Bleeding is a complication which can change everything for a fat transfer. The blood and bruising in the area often results in inflammation which reduces the chance of the fat to stay and 'take'. The still area can be massaged, and ultrasound can help break up the stiffness.

peterejohnsonmd

Bruising & Swelling Occurs

+2

By definition, complications are never normal.  Swelling and bruising occurs with all operations; hematomas are complications.

Mitchell F. Grasseschi, MD

Bruising and swelling after Facial Fat injection

+2

Hi england.uk in england uk,

Bruising and swelling after facial plastic surgery, including fat injections, is expected immediately after the procedure. Among many factors, but based on the technique, areas treated, and volume injected some patients may have significant swelling and bruising for several weeks. A hematoma will prolong the healing period. Although uncommon, 5 weeks may still be relatively early.

Methods to reduce facial swelling may include, keeping your head elevated, ice compress, reducing salt intake, steroids, and reducing strenuous activity. Speak to your fat transfer plastic surgeon and follow his/her advise. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling and bruising after fat injections fat transfers fat grafts

+2

Swelling can still occur five weeks after fat injections but possibly there is a hematoma, or collection of blood underneath the skin. The numbness is not easy to explain but sometimes is temporarily noted for a while after a procedure. See your doctor for an examination and evaluation of treatment.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Swelling and bruising after fat transfer.

+2

Swelling and bruising after fat transfer can occur. The only thing to help this is ultrasound treatments by your surgeon.

Bruising and Swelling is Variable

+2

Bruising and swelling is variable depending on what you had done, who did it, and how much was done.  Therefore, it is hard to predict how much longer.  However, if you are still bruised 5 weeks after a procedure that is typically longer than what I have seen.  for bruising, i use a laser treatment that tends to zap most bruising within 24 to 48 hours.  unfortunately, most docs don't know of that treatment so only go to someone who knows what he is doing regarding laser for bruising.  also, the laser is unsafe within 1 inch of the eye area.  it also treats just purply blue color near the skin and nothing else.  it is unusual in my opinion to see bruising 5 weeks out.  i have only seen that near the eye area in very few patients.  then the laser would not work.  as far as swelling is concerned, you could ask your doctor for oral steroids if he thinks that would ok.  of course, steroids can cause ulcers and make you feel loopy so make sure your doctor approves that.  as far as other things for both, you could use arnica montana, a homeopathic remedy.  many of my patients swear by it.  hope that helps, but in any case ASK YOUR DOCTOR.  

best,

dr. sam lam

dallas, texas

Samuel Lam, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bruising and swelling

+1

You may try Arnica MontanaX30, a homeopathic product. All bruising and swelling should resolve within 7-10 days.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hematoma and swelling after fat transfer

+1

I must tell you that this usually doesn't happen with fat grafting.  I'm sorry you had complications from your procedure.  It's not unusual to have some bruising and swelling a few weeks after your surgery.  However, if you are having any symptoms you are worried about, I would recommend you see your plastic surgeon.  I'm sure he/she would be very happy to examine you and make sure everything is ok.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD

Bruising and Recovery after Fat Grafting

+1

Having bruising and significant swelling 5 weeks after fat injections is uncommon but not unheard of. There are so many factors that play a role, both from the procedure's side (how was it performed?) and from the patient's side (how do you heal afterwards).

It sounds like that you had a complicated course of recovery. I would recommend professional lymphatic drainage in addition to laser or IPL treatments to push along your recovery. Disuss this with your surgeon!

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon