Fat Transfer Side Effects

Are there any side effects of having fat injections to increase the breast size?

Fat Transfer Side Effects

With any surgery, including fat transfer for breast augmentation, there are potential risks and/or side effects.  These can include: infection, bleeding, fat resorption, and fat necrosis.  Check with a board certified plastic surgeon who has extensive experience in both fat transfer and breast augmentation with breast implants to see which option may be in your best interest.     

San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafting to the breast!

Please find an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and member of the Aesthetic Society using the Smart Beauty Guide. These Plastic Surgeons can guide you on all aspects of facial surgery, breast augmentation and body procedures including tummy tucks or mommy makeovers!

Fat grafting is a valuable tool in breast surgery. This technique has gained more popularity over the past 7 years. There are many techniques used to harvest the fat, process the fat and then re-inject the fat. Conventional suction lipectomy is performed with a small diameter cannula, processed by separating the liquid and fibrous tissue from the fat, and then placed into syringes for re-injection or through a closed system.

Fat grafting breast augmentation - Los Angeles

I recommend the fat grafting procedure to the breasts for isolated cases needing revision or reconstruction. Fat grafting breast augmentation is currently in an experimental stage to gauge longterm risks. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Gentle harvest is the key to avoiding complications.

Nearly all the issues and complications with fat transfer (injection) are related to lipolysis (broken cells) of the injected material.  If you break/rupture/damage the fat as you remove it, not amount of good technique is going to provide a good result and the problem rate goes way up.  Exposing the harvested fat to the dramatic forces of a liposuction machine is problematic.  I prefer to harvest with a syringe technique, controlling the amount of vacuum with my own hands.  There is more to fat injection than meets the eye. 

Ritu Chopra, MD

Fat Transfer to the Breasts is Still Somewhat Controversial

Any procedure that causes  potential scarring to the breasts must be considered carefully.  At this time, it is reasonable to wait until further evidence is posted in plastic surgery literature about the long term effects of fat injection in the breast.  Fat grafting to the face is well established.  Long term limitations and benefits of fat grafting to the breast still need to be established. 

Elizabeth S. Harris, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafting side effects

fat grafting carries potential risks and complications including lumpiness, rippling, fat atrophy or loss, and asymmetry. In areas of the body where the fat is grafted more superficially such as the lower eyelid skin, these complications can be more noticeable.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Fat Transfer to the Breast Side Effects

Recently Fat Transfer to the breast has become more popular, but there are possible side effects that one must consider when evaluating this modality for volume enhancement.  
I think the main side effect that was most worrisome has been the concern of scarring on a mammogram should some of the fat not survive producing shadows that may concern a Radiologist.  I believe that doctors that read the mammograms are getting more comfortable with these possible changes, but some mammogram false positive results could occur necessitating further diagnostic studies.  Other side effects are possible infection, fat resorption necessitating more sessions of fat grafting, and possible asymmetry.  Keep in mind that fat grafting is best for breast contour irregularities or small volume enhancement; very large amounts of fat  and possible multiple sessions would be needed to approximate the result of large breast implants for breast augmentation.
Also, one should consider the possible side effects of where the fat is harvested from, most notedly, contour irregularities or asymmetry.  Hope this helps.

Side effects of fat injections to breasts is a delicate subject

Fat grafting emerged in the last few years as a very useful tool in facial rejuvenation, augmentation of different body areas and even wound healing by stem cell transfer. When it comes to the breast, it is a completely different issue. The breast is a hormone sensitive organ and this is related to breast cancer. Now, to make things clear,the scientific evidence so far did not prove a relationship between cancer and fat grafting but there is a lot we do not know.

The current issue with fat grafting to the breast is the fear of having fat necrosis, lumps and biposies and more surgeries. Hope that helps!

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Fat Transfer to Breasts

This is a very low risk procedure with minimal complications. The most troublesome would be infection or fat necrosis. Thankfully these occur very infrequently and are usually easily treatable. 

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

Fat transfer side effects

Swelling and bruising are common side effects that are considered temporary. Some of the fat may not take to the area, either, so you may need a few sessions to achieve your desired size. 

Some more serious risks include calcification of fat, oil cysts and scarring. These may be mistaken for cancer on mammograms. However, I have not found this to be a concern for my patients, and the procedure has been able to achieve great results!