Fat Transfer for Slight Pectus Excavatum?

I have a slight, but very visible, pectus excavatum between the breast. It makes my rib bones even more enhanced and I look bony with a hole in the middle of the chest which I hate. What is the best solution right now? Fat transfer, implants? Thank you so much.

Implant is best for pectus excavatum

+2

I don’t think that you can improve the pectus excavatum sufficiently with any filler as there would be too much volume needed to make the contour flush with the surrounding skin. Fat cells would die in the center of the implant secondary to a lack of oxygen diffusion traveling through the mass of the fat injection. Too much filler could compromise the skin’s circulation above the implant and the skin could ulcerate causing a bad scar. Contour improvement is accomplished by plastic surgeons who perform significant foundation changes on the bone structure. I would suggest you consult with such a plastic surgeon who does thoracic surgery and ask them about performing an implant versus surgery.

F

+1
Please find an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and member of the Aesthetic Society using the Smart Beauty Guide. These Plastic Surgeons can guide you on all aspects of facial surgery, breast augmentation and body procedures including tummy tucks or mommy makeovers!

Fat grafting is a valuable tool in breast surgery. This technique has gained more popularity over the past 7 years. There are many techniques used to harvest the fat, process the fat and then re-inject the fat. Conventional suction lipectomy is performed with a small diameter cannula, processed by separating the liquid and fibrous tissue from the fat, and then placed into syringes for re-injection or through a closed system.

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

No "best" Solution

+1

Pectus excavatum is common and occurs in various forms of severity. There are several ways to approach this mostly cosmetic concern. For severe cases, surgery to reach A. the rib cage is performed. This is a very large operation with mixed results.

In women, sometimes a breast augmentation is very helpful in camouflage and the defect. With the shape of the ribs the way they are, getting a good result is a bit tricky, but excellent results can be achieved.

I am not a fan of fat injection into the female breast at this time. The Society is doing research into this but currently the practice is not accepted because of possibility of him securing mammogram results. Additionally fat transfers are not always reliable.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD