Increase Breast Cup Size from Gaining Weight After Fat Transfer?

I heard that fat transfer to the breast can only improve by 1 cup; but if I gain weight after, would my breasts be able to grow larger since more fat is now deposited there?

Micro fat grafting, breast contouring, breast augmentation

+2

Dear Self Concerned Patient,

Micro Fat Grafting for Breast Augmentation in general will results in enlargement of 1 cup size. This is not true for all cases and depends a lot on how much fat there is for 'harvesting' and injection into the breasts. It can require more than one procedure and has associated risks which may increase the need to screening procedures for cancer.

It is a good procedure - and the results can be signifcantly improved with the 'BRAVA' bra.

The fat will increase with weight gain and decrease with weight loss.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Fat grafting to the breast!

+1
Please find an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and member of the Aesthetic Society using the Smart Beauty Guide. These Plastic Surgeons can guide you on all aspects of facial surgery, breast augmentation and body procedures including tummy tucks or mommy makeovers!

Fat grafting is a valuable tool in breast surgery. This technique has gained more popularity over the past 7 years. There are many techniques used to harvest the fat, process the fat and then re-inject the fat. Conventional suction lipectomy is performed with a small diameter cannula, processed by separating the liquid and fibrous tissue from the fat, and then placed into syringes for re-injection or through a closed system.

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

Transferred fat will behave like fat from original area

+1

What you are describing is true -- if you gain weight, the transferred fat will behave like the fat from the area it came, and the fat can take up additional volume. An increase in 1 cup is proabably all you can expect.

However, fat transfer is not a widely accepted technique for breast augmentation for a variety of reasons from cosmetic and safety standpoints. Importantly, the cells can calcify, making interpretation of mammograms difficult. I would strongly encourage you to not undergo such a procedure and instead consider implants which produce safe and reproducable results.

Be sure you consult a board certified plastic surgeon about breast augmentation.

Good Luck!

Jeffrey Horowitz, MD
Bel Air Plastic Surgeon