Lower Facelift and Platysmaplasty 8 Weeks Ago and I Still Have Lump Under my Chin

Is this normal or do I need liposuction? Prior to surgery my PS didn't think it was necessary and I didn't either(I am slender w/ good skin elasticity). When I saw him last we discussed the neck bands still present and the lump. He said that he should have done liposuction. I am not so sure although the neck bands are still there. I just think this may be a seperate issue and I don't want to have any extra unnecessary surgery. I am reading that these lumps are not so uncommon. Thank you

Facelift with Platysmaplasty

The lump under your chin can be caused by a number of things.  First, being you are only 8 weeks out the fullness under the chin may represent a fluid collection, a hematoma(collection of blood), or generalized inflammation or induration.  Fortunately, when recognized and addressed each of the above situations can resolve over time with proper minimally invasive managment.  Other reasons for fullness under the chin can be lack of fat removal when treating the neck or possibly bunching of the platysma muscle after midline platysmaplasty (although you stay  the neck bands are still present).  These are situations which will require a revisional procedure in the future.  Good Luck.....Dr. Corrado

Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon