Facelift and Laser Resurfacing at Once Recommended?

Do you recommend Facelift and Laser resurfacing at the same time? One doctor wants to do this but others say it's crazy to do both at once.

Facelift and laser

+1
Laser can be done on certain parts of the face at the same time as a facelift.  I prefer not to perform a full face kaiser at the same time, however.  I think it is too much trauma for the skin to undergo at the same time and can increase the risk of would healing problems.

Laser at Same Time as Face Lift

+1
Depending on the type of laser, the settings and number of passes and how invasive the facelift is will determine the safety of this procedure. Mini Face lifts and those that have limited undermining such as the MAC or LiteLift procedures are safer procedures for doing both of these procedures. Also it should be safe to do laser on those areas that are not undermined - such as the lips and chin area. We often do chemical peels and lasers at the same time as our limited incision face lifts and have not seen an increase in complications. 
My advice is to make sure you go to a board certified plastic surgeon you feel comfortable with and follow their recommendations.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Facelift and laser procedure

+1

I would not recommend a full facelift and a full facial laser peel. There is a higher risk of skin slough or loss from this procedure.

Facelifts and LASER resurfacing

+1

Facelifts can be combined with LASER resurfacing, and has been reported in the scientific literature to support their use together.  However, there is a slightly increased risk of delayed healing and prolonged swelling when using both modalities at the same time.   

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Don't combine a facelift with ablative lasering

+1

To do a proper facelift, the skin must be undermined to release it from the deeper tissues which are in turn lifted and tightened.  The blood supply of the skin is compromised by this but not to the extent where it can't survive in most all cases.  But to burn it with a laser would very possibly kill it.   

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Better to have facelift first and laser resurfacing later at 3 -6 months

+1

Newer fractional laser resurfacing can be doen at the same time as a facelift. However their is a risk that the laser resurfacing can interfere with the blood supply and slow your healing from the facelift.

I have been doing facelifts for 25 years and laser resurfacing for 15. I have combine dthese procedures in the past, but even with new fractioanl erbium laser resurfacing, the facelift healing is delayed.

There are situations where I still do it, but as a general recommendation it is better to wait until after your facelift and have laser resurfacing 3-6 months later.

The benefit is that after 3 months some additional tightening of the skin arpound the mouth will be obtained by a delayed laser resurfacing

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Better to have laser resurfacing done later

+1

It is not a good idea to have the two procedures combined at the same time. It is important not to insult the skin from the underneath side and the top side simultaneously for fear of having tissue slough from necrosis. The laser resurfacing can be performed at a later time.

Laser and Facelifting can be a great combination

+1

Lasers and facelifts can be done at the same time. I have combined plasma resurfacing, fractionated CO2 and light CO2 resurfacing with facelifts with excellent results.

The quality of the patient's skin, that is the thickness, the patient's health (smoking, underlying diseases etc.) have an impact and may alter the decision to do the procedures the same day or on separate days.

In any case, there are areas where you can use aggressive laser resurfacing and other areas over a facelift where you must laser cautiously to avoid complications. You cannot laser skin over a facelift flap as aggressively as you would perform a laser resurfacing procedure by itself. Despite these lower energies, you will still get a beautiful result.

If you are considering the two procedures together, discuss these issues with a physician experienced in both laser and facelifts. It must be done carefully and correctly. Being able to combine the two is not "crazy;" it actually produces a wonderful outcome by lifting and repositioning the face underneath the skin and resurfacing to provide a smooth texture, more even skin color and tone on the surface... a total rejuvenation package.

Edgar Franklin Fincher, MD, PhD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Facelifts and Laser Resurfacing

+1

In general, most surgeons do not want to laser the portion of the facial skin that has been 'lifted up' or undermined during the facelift. So if you are having a mini-lift type of procedure, the central areas of the face and most of the cheeks can typically be safely lasered.

One exception to the above would be a deep plane facelift, where the skin is lifted up as a thicker layer. Some deep plane facelift surgeons feel that the entire facial skin can be safely lasered.

Hope this helps!

Jason L. Swerdloff, MD
Clearwater Facial Plastic Surgeon

It depends on the surgeon and the extent of the surgery.

+1

If the patient needs a full facelift and a full face peel for wrinkles, I always do them separately to prevent the possible risk of the skin dying.

If I am doing a minilift and a peel around the eyes and/or mouth that is a different story. See an experienced facelift surgeon to guide you and prevent problems.