Facelift and Laser Resurfacing at Once Recommended?

Do you recommend Facelift and Laser resurfacing at the same time? One doctor wants to do this but others say it's crazy to do both at once.

Facelift and laser procedure

+1

I would not recommend a full facelift and a full facial laser peel. There is a higher risk of skin slough or loss from this procedure.

Facelifts and LASER resurfacing

+1

Facelifts can be combined with LASER resurfacing, and has been reported in the scientific literature to support their use together.  However, there is a slightly increased risk of delayed healing and prolonged swelling when using both modalities at the same time.   

Web reference: http://www.shahfacialplastics.com/facelift.html

Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Don't combine a facelift with ablative lasering

+1

To do a proper facelift, the skin must be undermined to release it from the deeper tissues which are in turn lifted and tightened.  The blood supply of the skin is compromised by this but not to the extent where it can't survive in most all cases.  But to burn it with a laser would very possibly kill it.   

Better to have facelift first and laser resurfacing later at 3 -6 months

+1

Newer fractional laser resurfacing can be doen at the same time as a facelift. However their is a risk that the laser resurfacing can interfere with the blood supply and slow your healing from the facelift.

I have been doing facelifts for 25 years and laser resurfacing for 15. I have combine dthese procedures in the past, but even with new fractioanl erbium laser resurfacing, the facelift healing is delayed.

There are situations where I still do it, but as a general recommendation it is better to wait until after your facelift and have laser resurfacing 3-6 months later.

The benefit is that after 3 months some additional tightening of the skin arpound the mouth will be obtained by a delayed laser resurfacing

Web reference: http://www.zimbio.com/Boston+Plastic+Surgeon/articles/42/Fractional+Laser+Skin+Resurfacing+Future+Laser

Better to have laser resurfacing done later

+1

It is not a good idea to have the two procedures combined at the same time. It is important not to insult the skin from the underneath side and the top side simultaneously for fear of having tissue slough from necrosis. The laser resurfacing can be performed at a later time.

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com

Laser and Facelifting can be a great combination

+1

Lasers and facelifts can be done at the same time. I have combined plasma resurfacing, fractionated CO2 and light CO2 resurfacing with facelifts with excellent results.

The quality of the patient's skin, that is the thickness, the patient's health (smoking, underlying diseases etc.) have an impact and may alter the decision to do the procedures the same day or on separate days.

In any case, there are areas where you can use aggressive laser resurfacing and other areas over a facelift where you must laser cautiously to avoid complications. You cannot laser skin over a facelift flap as aggressively as you would perform a laser resurfacing procedure by itself. Despite these lower energies, you will still get a beautiful result.

If you are considering the two procedures together, discuss these issues with a physician experienced in both laser and facelifts. It must be done carefully and correctly. Being able to combine the two is not "crazy;" it actually produces a wonderful outcome by lifting and repositioning the face underneath the skin and resurfacing to provide a smooth texture, more even skin color and tone on the surface... a total rejuvenation package.

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Facelifts and Laser Resurfacing

+1

In general, most surgeons do not want to laser the portion of the facial skin that has been 'lifted up' or undermined during the facelift. So if you are having a mini-lift type of procedure, the central areas of the face and most of the cheeks can typically be safely lasered.

One exception to the above would be a deep plane facelift, where the skin is lifted up as a thicker layer. Some deep plane facelift surgeons feel that the entire facial skin can be safely lasered.

Hope this helps!

Clearwater Facial Plastic Surgeon

It depends on the surgeon and the extent of the surgery.

+1

If the patient needs a full facelift and a full face peel for wrinkles, I always do them separately to prevent the possible risk of the skin dying.

If I am doing a minilift and a peel around the eyes and/or mouth that is a different story. See an experienced facelift surgeon to guide you and prevent problems.

Depends on type of Facelift and Laser Procedures being done

+1

Hello Swalt,

This is a very good question, one that we as Surgeons often discuss among ourselves.

Many Surgeons have successfully performed facelifts and laser resurfacing at the same time - this is done in order to optimize the aesthetic outcome and accomplish two procedures under one session of anesthesia (either general or IV Sedation). As well many patients can recover from both without having to do so again at a later time.

However it is very important to note that not all facelifts are the same in terms of how invasive they are and the same goes with lasers. This is important because both these procedures do have impact on the blood supply to the tissues of the face and the healing process itself. Other factors such as your overall health, history of smoking, skin type & thickness, extent of incisions used, power of the laser, etc. are all factors that need to be considered before electing to undergo both procedures at the same time.

Bottom line is to have your Surgeon explain in detail why they are comfortable offering you both at the same time given your anatomy, aesthetic goals and medical history.

Facelifts and lasers can certainly be done at the same time, but not all types of facelifts and laser procedures can be done in ALL patients at the same time!