Asymmetry and Lump After Mini Facelift and Eyelid Surgeries

I had a mini facelift 6 years ago (the procedure was performed twice at that time). I also had 2 procedures performed on my eyes - upper and lower eyelid surgery (lower were performed twice). After the 2nd procedures, I was told by my doctor that the asymmetrical profile of my jaw would correct itself in time and the lump below the scar on the left eye would also disappear (he did inject the lump with steroids but nothing happened then). Although other people say they do not notice until I point them out, all I have seen in the mirror and in photos are these issues for all these years.

I have been too afraid and unable to afford to consult anyone, but just found this site and had to ask if there is anything I can do to correct this or how I should proceed. Any advice would be appreciated. I loved my doctor but felt too scared to go back to him after everything that had happened. I live in the Ft. Worth, TX area.

Be careful in the pursuit for a perfect result

+2

It is my impression, that from your description, the irregularity is barely visible unitl pointed out,

We are all asymmetrical to some degree and that is natural

Although you may be inclined to correct the problem throught the additional surgery you bare the risk of making it worse or at least the possibilities of overcorrection or undercorrection.

There is an expression in surgery that goes: "The enemy of good is better". In other words, in an effort to get a perfect result you can ruin a reasonably good outcome.

I am not adivising you to settle but to inform you of the risks of making it better when no one else can appreciate the difference.

Think about it and make the right choice for you but be aware.

Minifacelift & eyelid surgery issues

+1

Amber1:

All surgeons strive to achieve excellent results and satisfied (or better) patients. From your description I understand that you had a limited facelift operation and a second similar revision, and upper and lower blepharoplasty, with lower revision. Afterward you see some unevenness, which is more noticible to you than others.

Your best option is to meet with a few experienced plastic surgeons who can discuss your course forward; based on your prior surgery records, your current examination, and your desires and concerns. After 6 years, additional improvement of the prior areas may be in order and new areas may now benefit from surgery. If the surgeons do not think they can eliminate the areas of concern to you, you want to know that in advance.

Sutton Graham II, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Complications after Eyelid and Facelift Surgery

+1

If you're not comfortable seeing you original surgeon, get consultations with other physicians. After 6 years, the irregularities you observe will not improve.

A mini facelift is not a specific operation. The term is generic, including multiple different procedures. There are also many eyelid techniques. Get a copy of the operative report and if possible pre-operative pictures before seeing another surgeon.

What to do after mini facelift?

+1

What to do after mini facelift? First of all, mini facelift is a general term, so it is difficult to know exactly what you had done. I have found that in most cases, doctors who offer "mini facelifts" are not trained to do full facelifts. It is impossible for a mini facelift to accomplish what a real facelift can do. However, what is done is done. If you post pictures, we may be able to give you more specific advice. If no one notices the issue except you, then it may be something not to worry about - unless it is causing you pain or some other distress. As for asymmetry, we really need to see your before and after pictures. Often, patients have asymmetry before surgery but do not notice it until after surgery when they are paying more attending to their face. At this point, you should consult with a few plastic surgeons and then weigh their opinions. Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Contour issues after mini-facelift

+1

After 6 years, whatever your problem, it is unlikely that time will erase them. That means that you would have to have a procedure for correction. Are the problems significant enough to warrant an operation? If they are minor, unless the treatment is simple, I would encourage you to leave well enough alone. Without seeing the issues I certainly cannot diagnose them. If you want me to see the problems, take a good digital image and submit it here.

Asymmetry is a part of normal anatomy and surgery

+1

Everybody has facial asymmetry. As a matter of fact, during the initial consult I take great care in pointing out these asymmetries to people. Then I explain how they will most probably still be asymmetrical after surgery.

Still, some people are upset, and when you pull the original preoperative photos, some people still refuse to come to peace with this fact.

Still, something might be done for you, whether it is a scar revision, or fat injections, or whatever, so long as you understand it is an effort to improve things, NOT to restore symmetry.

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

You should see several specialists for an opinion

+1

A minifacelift is a term that can represent many different procedures, but if has been six years, then some additional work may be done. Feeling comfortable with a surgeon you like is very important, but ultimately you need to be happy.

So I advise seeking out 3 qualified surgeons for their opinion as to the significance of your concerns and go from there. There is no harm in just talking. Good luck.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

This is a very difficult question to answer without an exam

+1

Irregularities and poorly healing scars can occur from a number of causes. Some are preventable and even treatable, others are not. The situation you describe really requires a personal exam from a qualified surgeon to determine what can be corrected. It might also be helpful to bring before and after photos and an operative report with you. The term "mini-facelift" can describe a wide gamut of procedures.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Facelift bumps?

+1

Bumps or irregularities after a facelift sometimes occur. It would be hard to suggest something to you without examining you. If it is scar tissue at the skin closure than a scar revision may be beneficial. If is it int he subcutaneous tissue, it would be difficult to tell you what it is unless the flap is elevated. It could be scar tissue.

Revisional surgery is often much more expensive

+1

Dear Amber1

Fixing cosmetic surgery that has gone awry is often complex business. For that reason, it is much more expensive than having the surgery done correctly the first time.

There are a lot of different types of procedures that fall into the "mini-face lift" title. There is nothing wrong with making the smallest incision to get the job done because it reduces scaring and translates into faster healing. However, the real problem with the so-called "mini-face lift" is that they are often taught in weekend courses to surgeon with no significant formal training in facelifting as an efficient way to providing facelifts for their potential patients. This is also true for many of the heavily advertised facelifts with catchy names that make it sound like you can recover over the weekend.

Consequently, one sees all sorts of troubling results from these type of procedures including tissue bunching, irregular facial contours, poorly tailored facial closure, unacceptable scars and in many cases, almost no facelift result. These results do not reflect poorly against the concepts of the surgery but rather its execution. All facelift surgeries require aesthetic judgement and the ability to individually tailor the procedure to the individual patient. This is the difference between a great facelift and an awful facelift.

To answer your particular questions, I recommend you up load before and after photographs and perhaps we can comment more concretely on your particular concerns.