Extremely Swollen 4 Weeks After Fat Transfer?

I got fat injected under my eyes to correct my dark circles. Four weeks later, I'm still very swollen. My left eye isn't TOO bad, but it looks like I have a huge bag under my right eye! I took Medrol, have been eating pineapple and applying Arnica gel, but it just doesn't seem to be getting better. Is it possible to still be THIS swollen, or do you think I was overfilled? If it's swelling, how much longer before I can expect to look normal again? I'm tired of hiding behind sunglasses and hats.

Fat Transfer in the periorbital area

+1

I think it depends on where the injections and how much was done.  I would make sure you communicate well with your physician on this....Especially if you are only four weeks out follow up closely.....thanks

Santa Monica Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eye Swelling After Fat Transfer

+1
I am sorry that your recovery has been so difficult.  Unfortunately it is possible to have swelling  4 weeks after eyelid fat transfer.  Swelling can sometimes be asymmetric also.  If you had slightly more bruising on one side versus the other, it can cause more prolonged swelling on one side.  It sounds like you are doing all of the right things.  With a bit more time, I am confident that things will improve siginficantly.  Continue to discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  All the best.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

+1

It is possible to still be swollen 4 weeks after fat transfer.  However, the tear troughs are not an area into which much fat is injected.  Hopefully, you have visited your plastic surgeon to assess for bruising or fluid collection.  He or she should be able to give you a better idea.  Finally, you will not know how much of the fat will survive until at least 6 weeks to as long as 3 months.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA