Will the Bumpiness Go Away from the Fat Transfer to my Nasolabial Folds?

I had a fat transfer to my nasolabial folds 2 weeks ago. I noticed it felt bumpy after the procedure and was told that this is normal. It still feels bumpy 2 weeks later and those areas are hard and noticable when I make certain facial expressions. Will these obvious bumps disappear over time?

Bumpiness 2 weeks after facial fat grafting

+1

Although it has been 2 weeks after your procedure, this is rather early given that it usually takes 4 months before truly judging the outcome. The sensation of bumps and lumps, although uncommon, usually resolve with time. Massage may be an option for you but check with your facial surgeon first.

Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lumpiness after fat trasfer

+1

Hi, I would reassure along similar lines to the other two answers already posted. Fat transfer can result in a rather lumpy early appearance with firmness and a little swelling. Once infection has been excluded, which would normally present with classic signs such as pain,redness,swelling and heat, then the chnces are with firm massage of the area the lumpiness should settle. Often its caused by a little too much fat with larger 'droplet' size, or by uneven absorption, since around half of all fat that's transferred is resorbed by your body! If in doubt, speak to your PS.

Sultan Hassan, MD, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Bumpiness after Fat Grafting to the Nasolabial Folds

+1

If there is a great deal of asymmetry when smiling and the lumps are visible, I would say to visit your plastic surgeon.  Having done this hundreds of times, I have not seen visible lumps after procedure.  There is always swelling, which can be significant.  Massage may help with the lumps and you are early in the healing process, but you need an exam.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Fat transfer to face

+1

Fat transfer to the face is a common procedure. Nasolabial folds are one of the most frequent places it is done. It is normal to have some swelling and even some induration (firmness) in the area for over one month. It should however look relatively even side to side. If this is not true then please contact your doctor again to be sure there is no problem or infection.

William LoVerme, MD