Expedite Healing from Fat Transfer?

I am getting Fat Transfer on 5/26/09. How long will I be bruised or swollen? What can I do to reduce the down time so I can go out?

Fat grafting may cause significant bruising or swelling

+3

Fat grafting may cause significant bruising or swelling. Unlike off the shelf injectables such as Juvederm, Radiesse and Evolence, fat grafting requires injection into multiple planes of the skin and subcutaneous tissue. This can case trauma to the tissue and induce swelling and bruising. We recommend Arnica Montana for your patients prior to and after surgery. Occasionally, a steroid course is also helpful in reducing the swelling. Good luck with your procedure.

Fat Grafting and healing time

+2

Dear Gemini, the amount of bruising you have and time to resolution depends on the technique used for your surgery. Typically it takes about 3 weeks for a lot of the bruising to settle and the swelling.... and results are seen by about 2 months.

The rate of healing can be improved with some homepathic modalities- Arnica, Traumeel, IV traumeel, and specific supplements to improve the scavenging of free radicals caused by blood in the tissues. Also, Gentle Waves improves the rate of healing as well.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Fat Grafting Recovery

+1

Fat Grafting of the lower lids can take several weeks to heal. Of course the surgeon's technique and experience plays a tremendous role in healing.

In my practice, we also incorporate homeopathic remedies that include Arnica and other remedies to accelerate healing. We also find that lymphatic drainage before and after surgery can significantly reduce swelling and bruising. Gentlewaves LED and V-Beam laser treatments can also be helpful. Patients who are fit, healthy with a good diet often experience a recovery that is shorter than expected.

It is important to be prepared for downtime. Your plastic surgeon should have many before and after photos of their previous work. Photos of patients during the recovery period can also be very valuable in truly understanding what recovery is like. Speaking to several patients can give you a good idea of what others have experienced during the recovery period.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon