Expedite Healing from Fat Transfer?

I am getting Fat Transfer on 5/26/09. How long will I be bruised or swollen? What can I do to reduce the down time so I can go out?

Fat grafting may cause significant bruising or swelling

Fat grafting may cause significant bruising or swelling. Unlike off the shelf injectables such as Juvederm, Radiesse and Evolence, fat grafting requires injection into multiple planes of the skin and subcutaneous tissue. This can case trauma to the tissue and induce swelling and bruising. We recommend Arnica Montana for your patients prior to and after surgery. Occasionally, a steroid course is also helpful in reducing the swelling. Good luck with your procedure.

10 East 53rd Street
New York, NY 10022

Fat Grafting and healing time

Dear Gemini, the amount of bruising you have and time to resolution depends on the technique used for your surgery. Typically it takes about 3 weeks for a lot of the bruising to settle and the swelling.... and results are seen by about 2 months.

The rate of healing can be improved with some homepathic modalities- Arnica, Traumeel, IV traumeel, and specific supplements to improve the scavenging of free radicals caused by blood in the tissues. Also, Gentle Waves improves the rate of healing as well.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

199 Avenue Road
Toronto, Ontario M5R 2J3