What Can I Expect to Notice Immediately After Having Radiesse?

What are some things I should avoid right before a radiesse treatment that might cause unusual effects?

After Radiesse

+1

This is a thick filler so you should expect swelling for up to a week and bruising for up to a week.  Don't exercise for 24-48 hours after the treatment to minimize further bruising.  Ice and arnica montana help.

Chesterfield Dermatologic Surgeon

Immediate results with Radiesse

+1

Radiesse is a filler, and as soon as it is injected, you will notice the effects.  Just like when you blow air into a balloon - you can tell the difference immediately. 

• If radiesse is injected into the cheeks, you will notice more volume in your cheeks softening of the nasolabial folds
  • If it is injected into the nasolabial folds, you will notice a blunting of the folds

People occasionally get bruising after injection.  This will resolve shortly.  If radiesse is injected near the lip, you may experience swelling minutes to hours after the procedure.  This can be uncomfortable, but it will go down in a couple of days.

Melissa Chiang, MD
Houston Dermatologist

Appearance after Radiesse

+1
Immediately after Radiesse injections, you should see marked correction of depressed folds or plumping fullness of the lips. Also, there will likely be some swelling present and a doughy feeling to the injected areas. The swelling and doughy feeling usually resolve in about 4-7 days in my experience. You may experience some bruising which can take up to a few weeks to resolve. The use of ice packs and Arnica Montana may help with the bruising.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Minimize the swelling and bruising

+1

Radiesse, which is Calcium Hydroxyapetite is a relatively inert substance with very rare chance of an allergic reaction. The only issues after treatment would be the potential swelling and bruising.  There is a rather dull pain associated with the treatment for the first day as well which is very minor.  To minimize the bruising and swelling, patient is recommended to avoid any blood thinners, which include aspirin, coumadin, plavix in addition to fish oil and vitamin E.  It is also recommended to start taking Arnica few days before and after the treatment.  Icing the treated area immediately after and applying the arnicare cream is also very effective in avoiding the swelling and the bruising.

Peyman Ghasri, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist

What to avoid before Radiesse injections

+1

Typical side effects associated with Radiesse injections include bruising, redness, swelling and pain. These occur in as high as 90% of patients and usually resolve within one week. Many dietary supplements, medications, vitamins, and herbs are associated with excess bruising from filler injections such as Radiesse. Those to avoid for at least 10 days prior to injection include non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) or naproxen (Aleve), aspirin, vitamin E, omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil), licorice, garlic, ginger, ginkgo, and other herbal supplements. The degree of bruising from filler injections may also be affected by injection techniques such as fan like injections, higher injection volumes, and more rapid injection times. Fortunately, adverse reactions are quite rare. The video link below shows see me injecting my wife with Radiesse into the lower cheeks, marionette lines, and jaw line!

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon