Are Radiesse Lumps at Two Weeks Normal?

I had Radiesse injected in my chin below the lipline where there has been loss of fat after five years in braces. It's been two weeks since I've had the injection, and I'm now noticing two hard lumps on both sides of my mouth. They show somewhat from the outside, but are hard and large on the inside of my mouth. I'm wondering if it's possible at this point that it's just swelling, or if I should be concerned. I called and have a follow-up next week, but I'm very worried.

Lumps post Radiesse

+1
These lumps are likely going to last for some time at this point. You can firmly massage these areas to see if they won't dissipate in a month. If they are still there in a month or so, you can discuss with your surgeon injecting a small amount of steroid into the lumps to help "dissolve" them, followed by continued massage. If the lumps persist a month after that, then you may consider a second steroid injection followed by massage. The good thing about these type of fillers that they are not permanent and eventually will go away, but this may take a year or more.

Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse Lumps

+1

Two weeks after the injections most of the swelling has likely resolved.  It is likely that you are feeling the product. If you include pictures it may be helpful, but in person examination may be best.  For first time injections, I normally recommend an HA product such as Juvederm or Restylane since these products can be melted with a special injection.  Radiesse is a great product, but is usually used in the cheeks and nasolabial creases.  However, use of Radisse around the chin is normal, but the injections are usually right on top of the bone and not within the soft tissue.  At this point, massage of the area may be your best bet.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Lumps Palpable 2 Weeks post Injection

+1

I'm not sure exactly where you were injected but it sounds like you are feeling the Radiesse. Massaging the lumps may be helpful, but the best thing to do is to see the physician who did the injections.

Palpable Radiesse at Two Weeks After Injection

+1

I’m sure the lumps you are feeling are the Radiesse product, and some residual swelling. I’m not exactly certain, based upon your description, where the Radiesse is located and whether it is visible on the inside of the lip. But there may be several reasons why the Radiesse is more palpable in this anatomic region.

Radiesse is generally placed in the deep dermal, sub-dermal, or the subcutaneous plane. The actual thickness of the lip is only several millimeters, so the subcutaneous layer is rather thin. It is therefore easier to feel the product in the lip (compared to the cheek for example); especially if a large amount of product is used, or if the product is not massaged and contoured after it is injected.

If the needle is accidentally placed a bit deeper than desired, injection into the muscle may occur, allowing the Radiesse to be more palpable from inside the mouth. Again, this is more likely to occur if a large amount of product is used, or if the product is not massaged and contoured after it is injected.

If the Radiesse is injected rapidly, or with significant pressure on the plunger of the syringe, the product may seek the path of least resistance and may work its way into the submucosal plane. The Radiesse would then be visible as a white- or yellowish-colored mass on the inside of the lip just beneath the mucosa.

Following injection, Radiesse is associated with more swelling than the hyaluronic acid gel fillers (Juvederm, Restylane, and Perlane), and that swelling lasts longer. Because of that additional swelling, and the characteristics of the calcium hydroxylapatite, Radiesse feels firmer, stiffer, and/or harder, and is less malleable when compared to the gel fillers. Given several weeks, this improves and the tissues soften to normal consistency.

Remember that fillers are meant to provide volume so any filler product may be palpable at times or in certain areas; that is fine, as along as it is not externally visible as a lump or mass.

Given more time, the area is likely to soften as swelling subsides. The Radiesse will eventually breakdown over time but this is a slow process that may take up to a year or more. Dispersion of Radiesse nodules has been described following injection of saline or sterile water, and I have referenced that in two previous answers.

You did the correct thing in seeking a follow-up appointment with your physician. I’m sure he or she will be able to guide you through this period so you don’t have to worry.

Best wishes and Happy New Year. Ken Dembny

Kenneth Dembny, II, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Are Radiesse Lumps at Two Weeks Normal?

+1

The lumps at two weeks after Radiesse injections are most likely from the Radiesse itself.  Because Radiesse is a thick filler, it works best in areas with a fatty layer.  Placing Radiesse in thin tissue can cuase lumps and bumps especially if not massaged and feathered at the time of injection.  You may want to see the MD that did the Radiesse injections.  Sculptra and Perlane work well in thinner tissues, IMHO.  Like all fillers, best to find an MD that understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial beauty for facial shaping and contouring using fillers.