Can I Expect a Good Result with Just 300cc Removed from Upper Abs?

I am athletic and toned at 5'7 and 150lbs. I recently had smart lipo on my upper abs and belly button area. I was surprised they only took out 300cc's. Does the laser melting the fat affect this at all? I expected to see more fat in the container it's deposited in.

300cc's can be significant

+2

While 300cc's may not seem like a lot of fat, but in someone who is "athletic and toned" as you describe yourself, it can be significant. This is essentially the size of a small grapefruit. Liposuction is best as a contouring procedure, not a weight loss procedure, so losing that "grapefruit" from you upper abdomen can make a real difference. As always, photographs would be helpful, but don't get too caught up in the number of cc's.

Liposuction in an athlete

+1

You may not have seen more fat in the container after liposuction because you are fit.  For one half an abdomen, 300ccs can make a considerable improvement.  It's not how much is removed, it's how the abdomen looks after the sculpting that counts.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Smart lipo, is 300cc enough

+1

The goal of liposuction is contour, or, it is not what you take but what you leave that gives a great result. The endpoint is judged by skin pinch, contour, and correct feathering. If 300cc will get the job done, then the volume is just right, more perhaps dents and regrets.

peterejohnsonmd

The amount of fat removed may not correlate with the cosmetic improvement after smartlipo liposculpture

+1

The amount of fat removed may not correlate with the cosmetic improvement after smartlipo liposculpture. The cosmetic result is also dependent on the amount of connective tissue present or remvoed and the shrinkage of the skin.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

300 ccs can be significant

+1

300 ccs can be significant.  It sounds like you are a fit and at only 150 pounds I doubt there was much to remove.  The upper abdomen doesn't usually yield a lot of fat on an average sized person, so it doesn't take much to make a big difference in a relatively fit patient.

Edgar Franklin Fincher, MD, PhD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

+1

In total agreement with Dr Wallach. Smart lipo with lipo of the central/upper abdomen removal of 300 cc's is an acceptable amount. But without a before photo posted very hard to advise. Also you said "recently" done. maybe you have swelling? Healing time could be upto 3 months. 

Liposuction

+1

300 cc of fat removal may be a lot for some individuals and not alot for others.  Having more information about you and your history along with photos and a physical exam would be very helpful.