Exercise After Mini Tummy Tuck?

How soon can I exercise after having a mini tummy tuck? I enjoy running and wondered how long I'd have to wait to return to this. What exercises can I do and when?

Exercise After Min-Tummy Tuck

+3

I advise all my patients about the risk and complications of exercising after tummy surgery.  Most often with mini-tummy surgeries I sew the tendons in your tummy area back together just like a corset.  Therefore it is very important to wait on your aerobic exercise and heavy lifting for about 4 weeks.  You can resume walking slowly for moderate exercise after two weeks.   As with any surgery the better you take care of yourself the sooner you heal and return to your normal routine.   Exercise should be delayed until you post operative visit at two weeks and then I can evaluate how you have healed and suggest what type of exercise program can be started.  When I perform this surgery I normally include liposuction of the hip area and under the breast and these areas need to be healed to begin your exercise routine.

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Excercise after mini tummy tuck

+2

My concern is tension in the incision area potentially causing widening of the scar.

My recommendation is to start walking on a flat surface at a moderate pace 2 weeks after surgery and start running 4 weeks after surgery.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Recovery for Mini Tummy Tuck

+2

It really depends if you had any muscle plication.  If you did, then full activity at 6 weeks, if not then 2 weeks is sufficient.

You would need to find out if any muscle repair was performed for your mini tummy tuck.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Exercise post tummy tuck

+2

After any major cosmetic surgery, I ask my patients to refrain from any activities that elevate HR and BP for 2 weeks.  Then gradual resumption of activities is done.  Avoid strenuous abdominal work for 8 weeks to protect whatever muscle repair you might have.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Mini-tummy tuck recovery and exercise

+2

In most instances, following a mini-tummy tuck, you can resume normal daily acitivties with compression garments begining 5 days after surgery.  Low-impact, non-resistance exercise may begin at two weeks and more strenuous activities may begin at 3 weeks with gradual increase in resistance by 6 weeks.

Exercise After Tummy Tuck

+2

With a mini-tuck, most patients can get back to light exercise at the one to two week mark.  This would include walking on a treadmill, etc.  However, I would avoid any high-impact ativities for one month.  At that point, you should be ok to resume all activities as long as you are cleared by your surgeon.  I hope this helps. 

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Wait 6-8 Weeks Before Resuming Exercise After Mini Tummy Tuck

+1
In the performance of a mini tummy tuck, liposuction of the entire abdominal wall is normally performed first.Following that, an incision is made in the lower part of the abdomen.This incision goes through the skin and fat layer but does not penetrate the muscle layer.The skin and fat layer is then elevated off of the muscle layer up to the bellybutton.The skin and fat layer is then pulled snugly downward and the excess skin and fat are removed and the wound is closed.This leaves a significant raw surface between the muscle layer and the fat layer between the pubic bone and the bellybutton across the entire lower abdomen.It is very important that this space heal.It would normally be expected to take 10 to 14 days for this space to be healed and closed.During that time, it is very important to limit your activity.Even after it is closed, the healing process is not complete.The entire healing process could take six to eight weeks.

If you have a mini abdominoplasty, it is probably best to not plan on returning to driving for 10 to 14 days. After that, you should wait six to eight weeks before you resume exercise and strenuous activity.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after mini tummy tuck

+1

In general, I allow patients to go back to aerobic work-outs in about 3-4 weeks and heavy lifting by about 6-8 weeks. But, you should speak to your surgeon first and see what he recommends for yoyu.

Exercise after a mini tummy tuck

+1

In our practice, we encourage patients to return to life aerobic activity as soon as possible after a mini tummy tuck. This includes walking with their compression garment on. Patients may return to the gym and weights at approximate six weeks after their surgery.

Pat Pazmino, MD