Is Muscle Repair Included in Mini Tummy Tucks?

If I would like a mini tummy tuck, will my muscles get repaired also? I hear it's usually below the naval only. I have checked to see how far apart they are, and from what I can feel, they are pretty close together along the top of my stomach, and close together beneath the belly button, but they seem to be 2 1/2 finger gaps apart just under the belly button area. Would this get sorted? I also have a small hernia (which getting corrected seperatly on the NHS).

Mini versus Full tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) or something in between?

+2

I would completely agree with Dr. Aldea in this regard. This is not necessarily and either/or decision or a black/white choice. Mini tends to refer to procedures repairing loose skin and muscle below the belly button whereas a full repairs loose skin and muscle above and below the belly button. There are procedures that combine aspects of both and have been called marriage or midi abdominoplasty procedures.

Normally, Muscle Tightening Is Not Included in Mini Tummy Tucks

+1
Normally, muscle tightening is not included in a mini tummy tuck. A mini tummy tuck normally begins with liposuction of the abdominal wall.Once that is completed, an incision is made in the lower part of the abdomen.In some cases, this incision may be as long as the incision necessary for a full tummy tuck.The incision is made through the skin and fat layer down to, but not through, the muscle layer.The muscle layer is not entered. The skin and fat layer is elevated off of the muscle layer up to the bellybutton.If muscle tightening is performed only in the lower part of the abdomen then it could create a bulge above the bellybutton.Ideally, when muscle tightening is necessary it would extend from the center part of the rib margin down to the pubic bone.This would give a uniform tightening of the muscle layer.There are however, exceptions to this.It is very important that you select a surgeon who is trained and experienced in all types of abdominal recontouring procedures.He or she should be able to carefully assess your situation and select the best procedure for you.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Is Muscle Repair Included in Mini Tummy Tucks

+1

When a mini tummy tuck is performed only the infraumbilical portion of the muscular abdominal wall is seen.  Therefore, a limited plication can be done from this approach. However, if the lower recti are separated then the upper recti are probably separated as well and a full abdominoplasty may be indicated.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Muscle repair with mini tummy tuck.

+1

It is often  possible to do a limited imbrication of the rectus muscles( tightening them up) above and certainly below the umbilicus during a limited tummy tuck.  This is clearly not as accessible as doing the repair when the skin is raised more widely as is done in a full tummy tuck, however.  Limited hernia repairs can also be performed at the same time.  Continue to seek the guidance of your chosen Plastic Surgeon for this guidance.

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

Muscle separation with mini tummy tuck

+1

Very comonly if you feel a weakness of the muscles belowe the umbilicus you also have it above. Most minis do not repair the muscle above the umbilicus.

Mini tummy tuck vs standard tummy tuck

+1

A photo would have been helpful to determine whether you are a good candidate for a mini vs a full (standard) tummy tuck procedure. To distinguish between the benefits of the two procedures, a mini tummy tuck does only provide repair or improvemnt of the area below the belly button. So, any muscle diastasis and loose , excess skin from below the naval will be repaired and removed to provide a tightened appearance. However, if you have any muscle diastasis on the upper portion of the abdomen above the naval or loose skin, it may appear more prominent and become a problem area if only the lower portion is improved. Not many woman are good candidates for the mini tummy tuck procedure. I recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss the best and safest possible options for you. Take care and good luck.

Muscle Plication using a Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

You can do a rectus muscle plication (or tightening of the abdominal muscle) of the inferior portion. If you use an endoscope, you can to it above the umbilicus or you can float the umbilicus and do the plication centrally. This procedure should only be done by people that have a long torso with a high umbilicus.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Mini abdominoplasty usually not for Muscle repair

+1

In most circumstances, a mini - tuck just involves skin and fat from the abdomen below the umbilicus.  If someone has a diastasis of the rectus muscles, that diastasis usually runs the entire length of the rectus muscles, and is widest at the umbilical area.  It is hard to correct this completely with a limited, lower area.  There are some times whn a little muscle tightening may be warranted with the mini-tuck in the lower area only, but it is on the rarer side.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Mini-tummy tuck and rectus muscle

+1

If your surgeon has deemed you to be an appropriate candidate for a mini-tuck, then he or she will attempt to do whatever is possible inferior to the belly button, including muscle tightening if needed.  You should speak with your surgeon if his or her plans are not clear to you prior to surgery.  Best wishes, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Muscle repair is included in mini tummy tucks

+1

Yes, but only below the umbilicus. Therefore you need to make sure you are truly a good candidate for the mini tummy tuck.

From MIAMI