Is EMatrix Safe for Dark Skin People? Between Type IV-V

Hi, I have shallow scars on my cheeks and was researching about treatment for dark skin people ( IV-V). Will I benefit from EMatrix ? and what kind of improvement will I notice ? Will it cause hyper/hypo pigmentation ? Thanks

Yes!

+1
eMAtrix is ideal for darker skin types (3-6), as it concentrates the energy thru radiofrequency to the deeper layers of the skin (dermal) whilst sparring the upper layers where there is pigmentation. Post treatment darkening is minimal after eMatrix, providing the parameters are correct. 
Patients will still need to be vigilant in regards to sun protection after the procedure. 

Regards, 

Dr Davin S. Lim
Consultant Cosmetic and Laser Dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia

Brisbane Dermatologist

Is Ematrix safe for Darker Skin Type?

+1

Using lasers on darker skins has always been a question. We do know darker skin types can experience a greater chance of experiencing post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (darkening). Ematrix is not actually a laser, it is radiofrequency. Radiofrequency is an energy that does not effect the pigment making cells in your skin which is why it is safer in darker skin types. It is still important however to be sure you are treated by a practitioner skilled with laser and energy based treatments and protect your skin from UV light after treatment. Even though the risk is small, it is still present that one can experience irregular pigmentation after any energy based treatment.

Be sure to use lots of SPF

Lori A. Brightman, MD

Dark Skins get safer results with "non laser" eMatrix

+1

Darker skins have always been more susceptible to post-laser complications because the laser energy has to pass through the pigment layers.

eMatrix doesn't use laser, so the pigment layer isn't impacted the same way.

With correct settings for your skin type, eMatrix is probably the safest option for tackling your acne scars. Although we've not had any problems with post-treatment pigmentation, there is always a risk - no matter how slight that might be.

You will need a series of treatments so get results since the treatment goal is to produce new collagen and that collagen production takes place over time and over a number of actions.

Improvement levels are dependent upon how healthy your skin is, your age (younger people tend to build collagen more abundantly and faster) and at what energy levels your doctor chooses to use for your treatment. To date, no fractional resurfacing totally smooths acne scars, but the changes are enough to be well appreciated.

Pre and post procedure sun avoidance will be important, as well as following all the guidelines given to you by your doctor. 

You might also consider undergoing eMatrix treatments during the winter months when you have less exposure to sun and ambient heat.

Rebecca Fitzgerald, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist