What is the Proper Order for EMatrix and Microdermabrasion Treatments?

My doctor recommended getting a microdermabrasion treatment right before getting a eMatrix laser done (during the same appt.), he said it the laser would then have a greater impact. I understand that the treatments are complementary, but is it safe to have them both done at once? Or will I have better results getting the micro treatment a few weeks post laser?

EMatrix and microdermabrasion in the same visit

+2

Since the eMatrix affects only 5% of the epidermis with most of the effect being delivered to the deeper tissue (dermis), it would be safe to have a microdermabrasion first as this is a very superficial procedure. However, the microdermabrasion may increase the sensitivity of your skin to the eMatrix treatments. Since the effectiveness of the eMatrix treatment depends upon your level of tolerance to the power settings that are chosen, I recommend you have your microdermabrasion on a different day so that your eMatrix treatments will be less uncomfortable and more successful.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Microdermabrasion and eMatrix

+1

I have often done microdermabrasion treatments on patients before IPL because it does help get rid of some debris and skin cells and allow the IPL to penetrate better. Because the eMatrix penetrates deeper, in a cone fashion, most of the procedure occurs under the skin and the top layer isn't really the target of the procedure. With that being said, there's not going to be a problem doing microdermabrasion before eMatrix (and yes, it is before for sure!) as long as no topicals are applied. For eMatrix the skin needs to be completely dry and usually an alcohol is applied to thoroughly clean off the skin and remove moisture. Microdermbrasion would also dry the skin a bit, but no topicals can be used during the procedure - which I'm sure your physician knows if he recommended the treatments together. For the most part, I can't really see the purpose of doing the microdermabrasion before the eMatrix for any added benefit, but it certainly won't harm you.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD