Eczema and Dermabrasion

I have had what has been diagnosed as lichen striata on the back of my left thigh since i was 14. I am now 21 and I am totally frustrated. I used make up to cover it and it works well but I just want to be free again. The skin on the rest of my body is perfect. A dermo had suggested dermabrasion on my leg but my parents thought that it was too risky. What do you think? What other treatments are out there? I am so depressed about this.

Dermabrasion is not recommended for legs

+2

Your condition requires a low potency steroid cream topically and may benefit form Pulse Dye Laser. The key is cool touch therapy, as lichen can undergo Koebner phenomenon--a worsening with harsh treatments like DB.  We have improved these conditions with pulse laser light therapy. There is hope. --Dr. G

Orlando Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dermabrasion for lichen striatus?

+2

Dermabrasion off of the face is definitely  of greater risk than on the face, but can be done in skillful hands with careful post abrasion care.  Another suggestion might be to try treating a small area with fractional CO2 laser such as the Activ/Deep Fx which might give similar results with faster healing and less risk.

Stephen Mandy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Eczema and Dermabrasion

+2

Sorry for your condition. The good thing it is not on your face. I partially agree with Dr Grossman on areas of preforming dermabrasion. But you could try a very small area on the afflicted area with dermabrasion. Like 2 to 4 cm's diameter to see the resultant scar appearance. If acceptable to you, than complete the treatment. Just an idea on approaching your issue. Best of luck. The "real" Dr Darryl J. Blinski, Miami, Fl off # 305 598 0091

Dermabrasion of the legs

+2

I would never suggest dermabrasion for any area of the body other than the face.  Healing in non-facial areas following dermbrasion or any type of deep chemical peel will lead to permanent scarring.  Personally I do not know of any procedure that may improve your condition.