Ear Otoplasty - Do I Have to Be Careful with my Ears All my Life?

Hi, it's been exactly 4 months since my procedure and I'm very careful my ears don't hurt very bad but it's still a little uncomfortable. Till when can I be comfortable with my ears? What if my ear gets pulled? When is it safe ? I'm worried about me sleeping wrong where my ear is folded and things like that. When should I be comfortable? Or is it going to be like this my whole life?

Protruding stitch (suture) after otoplasty (ear pinning)

+2

As Dr. Aldea mentioned, a stitch that protrudes through the skin and can be easily identified at one year should probably be removed. However, if it is simply a prominent stitch that is palpable and not necessarily visible or exposed, I would probably leave alone.

Recovery & Healing Process Following Otoplasty

+1

It’s not unusual for patients to experience significant ear tenderness following otoplasty.  When this occurs, patients have a tendency to protect their ears.  This impulse to avoid contact, can result in the ears being even more tender over the course of time.

For this reason, once the ears have healed adequately in about 6 to 8 weeks, we recommend gentle massage of the area.  This will ultimately desensitize the ear and result in higher comfort levels.  Using this approach, the ears eventually lose their tenderness and return to normal.

When this situation occurs, patients should contact their surgeon.  Their surgeons should be able to help them address this problem so they can return to a normal life as quickly as possible. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

You can return to normal activity post Otoplasty

+1

Tenderness can persist 6 months plus.  As the scars soften, the tenderness decreases.  At 4 months recurrence is unlikely. You can return to the activities that you were doing prior to the surgery.

Robert Sleightholm, MD
Brampton Plastic Surgeon

Tips for Otoplasty- Ear Shaping

+1

Dear 7410anon The cartilage of your ears has been reshaped in the Otoplasty and is now in the maturation stage of healing.  You can have some itching sensations or numbness, but if the incisions behind the ears are uncomfortable it is worth it to show your surgeon.  

If that checks out ok, then getting back to your normal pre-otoplasty lifestyle will probably help you adapt to your new ears.  Best Wishes in the New Year.

Travis T. Tollefson, MD, MPH
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty - healed?

+1

By 4 months you should be healed from your otoplasty.  It's not unusual to feel some tightness or pulling after surgery.  If you feel something painful - stop doing it - listen to your body.  Please continue to live your life and sleep without worry.  I'd recommend you talk to your surgeon so he/she can answer any questions or concerns you may have.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD

You are fully healed now after 4 months

+1

You can be assured that you are fully healed 4 months after otoplasty. It is not unusual to have some sensitivity and even a little numbness at this time, but it should resolve after a few more months. You do not need special precautions when sleeping anymore, and barring significant direct trauma to your ears there is not going to be a change in appearance. Rarely a suture extrusion or slipage can occur in the first year and should prompt a call to your plastic surgeon fo advice or an examination.

Harrison C. Putman III, MD
Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ottoplasty

+1

After ear surgery you need to be carefull for about 12 weeks.

You should be able to sleep normal and have normal activity.

Your ears are not likely going to change much, 4 months after your Otoplasty Surgery.

+1

You can have acute changes in the appearance of your ears if they're pulled within the first 2 months after Otoplasty Surgery. I'm not sure why your ears are "a little uncomfortable". You should visit your surgeon and address these concerns with him. Ask him to make sure you're not developing keloid scars which could cause discomfort.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon