Will Stretched Ear Lobes Ever Shrink Back to Normal Size?

I was wondering if you would always have to get surgery after stretching your earlobes. I have heard from others that depending on how big you stretch them, they will shrink down but I want to make sure with a professional. I will attach a picture that shows the top size i would like to go to. So in other words, will they ever close up if ear lobes are stretched, if not will they ever shrink down to a normal ear piercing size like 18mm?

Surgery will bring it back to normal

This is a common question. The holes will shrink to a certain degree but never completely close. Surgery is your best option if you would like to have a closed hole. The procedure is an office procedure performed under local anesthesia. Good luck.

1001 B Avenue
Coronado, CA 92118

Shrinkage of stretched ear lobes

The ear lobes may shrink by themselves, but only by a modest amount. Surgery is probably the only predictable way to reduce them.

Anindya Lahiri, FRCS (Plast)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

22 Somerset Road Edgbaston
Birmingham, West Midlands B15 2QQ

Will I need ear lobe surgery after gauging?

The earlobe will shrink but never look normal again without surgery.  I would wait until it finnishes shrinking on its own before cutting out and closing the hole.  You cannot wear the gauges for the entire time that it is shrinking.

Neal Goldberg, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon

495 Central Park Avenue
Scarsdale, NY 10583

Ear lobe stretching

This is a very common issue in the young patient population.  The short answer is no.  The long answer is that it also depends on how stretched the skin was to begin with.  No matter what, you will need some form skin closure to close the hole and then re-piercing after that.  That is your best solution.

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

1307 White Horse Rd
Voorhees, NJ 08043

Small to medium gauge piercings will permanently stretch your ear lobes

Small to medium gauge piercings will permanently stretch your ear lobes. I agree with my fellow plastic surgeons that even though your gauge piercings are smaller than some others that your earlobes will never completely heal on their own. They WILL contract but there will always be a hole there. Repair can be performed in the office and typically results in a nice appearing earlobe.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

9695 S. Yosemite Street
Lone Tree, Colorado 80124

Will Earlobes Shrink Without Surgery

If the ring is removed the size of the hole will decrease but by how much is unpredictable.  This will occur over approximately 6 months.  Based on the photograph you provided, I would not think that the final size -  in the absence of surgery - would be cosmetically acceptable to you.

Andrew B. Denton, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

943 West Broadway
Vancouver, BC V5Z 4E1

Gauged Earlobe Holes Will Shrink But Never Go Completely Away

You have small gauged earlobes in comparison to some I have seen. When you remove your gauges, your earlobe holes will shrink down to some degree. The holes will never completely close and it is just a matter of how small they will get. After 6 months they will likely shrink down leaving a residual hole about the size of half a pencil width.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Indiana University Health North Hospital
Carmel, IN 46032

Generally not.  With removal of the heavy earrings or gauges, the skin and scar tissue can contract a bit over time, but will not close on their own.  The longer the gauges are out and the more contraction of the scar/skin that has occurred before surgical correction, generally the better the final outcome will be for your.  Best of luck.
Garrett A. Wirth, MD, MS, FACS

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

400 Newport Center Drive
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Closing a gauged earlobe

Thanks for sharing. Your earlobes will shrink some if the gauges are removed. They would shrink slowly over time. In fact I have my patients do this for about a month prior to surgery. Ultimately you would most likely need to have surgical correction. It can be performed under local anesthesia. 

Raymond E. Lee, MD

1401 Avocado Avenue
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Not enough

They typically shrink initially, but probably will never shrink enough to fix the issue. I would definitely talk to a plastic surgeon. It is a simple surgery to perform, but definitely needs to be evaluated by someone that knows the aesthetics of the earlobe.

Kiran Polavarapu, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

12001 South Frwy
Fort Worth, TX 76028