Is There Any Way to Repair a Thin Section in a Stretched Earlobe?

My right ear piercing was always a bit lower than my left. After stretching my ears, the bottom of my right lobe has become exceedingly thin (to the point of discomfort). I was wondering if it is possible to move the hole vertically, and use skin removed from above the hole (to move it up to match the left) to thicken the bottom of the earlobe? Essentially, I have no interest in having my stretched piercings sewn closed, I only want to fix the right one that's thin.

Repair of earlobe tears and stretched earlobes with plastic surgery

+1

The best solution for the stretched earlobe piercings is to revise the hole and repierce the earlobe at a later period.  I perform these surgeries routinely in my plastic surgery practice. 

Thin earlobe repair

+1
The best way to fix a thinning earlobe is to excise the area, including the non-offending hole and repair it using lap joint flaps. Although you do perceive the piercing as a problem, repair will be complicated by leaving the hole as is. About eight weeks later, the ear can be repierced. In some circumstances, filler can be injected to plump up the earlobe.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Non-surgical technique for Treating Thin Earlobes

+1

There is a non-surgical technique for plumping up thin earlobes.  

Juvederm can be injected and will fill and plump up the thinned earlobe without need for stitches.  

Whole straight forward, a disadvantage of the Juvederm procedure is that it is temporary and last as long as the Juvederm which is 6 to 8 months.

Fredrick A. Valauri, MD

Streched earlobes and thinning skin can be repaired with Earlobe Plastic Surgery

+1

Stretched earlobes and thinning skin can be repaired with Earlobe Plastic Surgery. With an earlobe hole that is moved lower from stretching, the best way to repair this is by excising and then closing it following this with another piercing.  Otherwise to move it upward will require some type of incising and closing.  Without fully closing it, you will need to do some flaps that could be more complicated than just closing it completely.  You can see more videos and read more about us and this process on our website.

Thanks for reading, Dr Young

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stretched earlobe hole repair

+1

Depending on how thick the isthmus of skin, the thin parts of a stretched earlobe hole may have to be removed when the edges of an earlobe hole are trimmed and freshened during a repair.  The split or hole in the lobule has to be sutured to recreate the whole lobule anew.  Sometimes, the closure involves some tissue rearrangment to contour the lobule nicely.  Subsequently, you can repierce your ear after swelling decreases 2-3 months afterward. 

Thomas T. Le, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can stretched earlobe holes be repaired?

+1

Depending on the size of the hole and the strength or thickness of the surrounding earlobe tissue, an overly stretched earlobe pierce hole can be either closed or made smaller.  Either procedure takes approximately 30 minutes under local anesthesia.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Earlobe can be repaired

+1
The stretching and thinning of the lobe is a common procedure to fix. You need to cut around the edge and fix the split then repeat the piercing about three months after the repair. In thinning only cases a filler can often be used to plump the lobe. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Earlobe concern

+1

This type of earlobe thinning can be addressed with a preocedure under local anesthesia, typically to remove or re-shape that portion of the earlobe.  It will probably require that a new piercing be placed adjacent (but not too close) to the prior piercing.

Jeff Scott, MD
Everett Plastic Surgeon

Stretched Earlobe Hole Can Be Repaired

+1

Stretched holes from earlobe piercings are very common.  That thin skin along the edge is just about to tear completely.  The problem can be easily repaired and your earlobe re-pierced in 3 months, once the repair is strong enough to hold a new earring.  You'll be as good as new!

Randy J. Buckspan, MD

Enlarged Ear Piercing Holes Can Be Reduced In Size

+1

With a stretched earlobe, you can either remove the hole completely or simply reduce the size of hole enlargement. When the hole is closed completely you can then re-pierce it 6 weeks later. When you just reduce the size of the hole, the repair below the hole is much weaker for a longer period of time. Therefore, in earlobe hole reductions you will need to wait three months before you can resume wearing ear rings or piercings of any type.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD