Ear Deformity After Cartilage Harvest? (Photo)

This is my ear after cartilage harvest for rhinoplasty.Is this a step-off deformity? I feel that there is a gap betweep the helical crus and the antihelix.My surgeon refuses to fix that and I consulted other surgeons.They said that rib cartilage graft is NOT an option,and that I need either conchal cartilage graft from the other ear or injectable fillers to fill this gap.What is your opinion?And is that a step-off deformity?

Subtle Ear Deformity After Harvesting Cartilage For Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Marilu,

Based on your photos, the ear deformity is very subtle but if it is bothering much then having fat or filler injections could be ideal in your situation.

Please make sure that although it may look like a simple solution, a skilled surgeon should provide it since filler injections should be very conservative at delicate areas as yours.

The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ear cartilage deformity after rhinoplasty

+1

There are a couple of options. The first is conservative treatment and see if it does not become less bothersome over time. Second option is some injectable filler such as fat or hyaluronic acid filler. Third, you can consider grafting from the other conchal bowl. From the photos you provided it appear to be a relatively small area and if your nose is a lot better than it may be best to accept this as the result of a better looking nose. Good luck.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Erroneous Ear

+1

Status Post: Lateral antihelical auricular harvest for rhinoplasty resulting in a minimal cartilaginous step-off deformity.  Try multiple and sequential injections of hyaluronic acid (Restylane, Juvederm, etc.) using very small aliquots to fill and shape the cymba (upper) conchae and antihelix over time.

And please don't forget the tincture of TIME...

Robert A. Shumway, MD, FACS

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Should I fix my ear

+1

A little fat grafting will fill that in. When I worked in Mexico there is an old addage. The young man asks the old man" why do the dogs bark at night?" The old man answers " whydo you listen?"My advice don't listen

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Ear deformity after cartilage harvest

+1

I think you are probably correct that the small ridge is from the harvest. I also think that this is extremely subtle and mild. I would recommend focusing on the positives of the improvement in your nose (assuming there is improvement). 

Ronald Schuster, MD